Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taking On Water

Taking On Water

I've got a 2000 RXDI. I when i got it back to the launch and put it on the trailer, I pulled the plugs and there was quite a bit of water rushing out. I took the seat off and there was about 3 inches of water in it. any ideas? i really have no clue I'm still new to this.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronQuade View Post
    I've got a 2000 RXDI. I when i got it back to the launch and put it on the trailer, I pulled the plugs and there was quite a bit of water rushing out. I took the seat off and there was about 3 inches of water in it. any ideas? i really have no clue I'm still new to this.
    most likely its your carbon ring, when you're in the water to check if the carbon ring is bad, is to move the ring up and down and if water drips into the hull this will be the problem. This is the most water in hull problem. If not it, you have a cooling line thats disconnected or cracked somewhere, or even worse hopefully the exhaust pipe is not cracked, if it is the water jacket is leaking into the hull

a bad carbon ring can also cause cavitation and kill your holeshot

I second the carbon ring,,,

With the ski strapped tight to the trailer, back it in at the ramp pull the seat off and run it,, look for water at the driveshaft area,, also look at your coolant hoses as ultramax states.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dghal View Post
    I second the carbon ring,,,

With the ski strapped tight to the trailer, back it in at the ramp pull the seat off and run it,, look for water at the driveshaft area,, also look at your coolant hoses as ultramax states.

and while its off and tied to the trailer move the ring up and down if water comes in the hull, the ring is crap. Most ppl dont realize that there is really nothing to a carbon ring, as weird as it sounds but that piece uses no seals bearings or grease, so its pretty darn delicate.

+1
    A lot of the problems I see with the carbon seals is not the seal itself but the accordian boot. When it gets weak it will allow the seal to push off the collar. It can also be an issue if the PTO has not been greased in a long time.

Also make sure the two plastic straws are still in the venturi. If these are not there it can blow water back in through the bailers. The tubes for the bailers should be routed up and then come down to the bailer heads. If one is laying down it will

Also, check around the Resonator. They can develope leaks there as well.

Thanks guys, sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to this thread. I've been at work the past few days. The day i posted this thread i launched it and took a look inside the hull, engine running and off, but i have really no idea what i am looking at. Needless to say i called my seadoo dealer back down in NC and they suggested that i take a look at the hoses for my bailers. I didnt have this problem last summer and i noticed it after the winter, so maybe the one cold day last winter in NC did something... who knows. The dealer emailed me some diagrams and told me to check all the clamps and such. also there were some bolts they suggested that I check.... by looking at the diagrams they are back by the venturi assembly.... not 100% where/which ones they are. Tommorow when i get back up to Grand Haven im going TRY to check all those out...

Also, when im running it without the seat on there is some smoke coming out of the hull... ive never noticed that before.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    most likely its your carbon ring, when you're in the water to check if the carbon ring is bad, is to move the ring up and down and if water drips into the hull this will be the problem. This is the most water in hull problem. If not it, you have a cooling line thats disconnected or cracked somewhere, or even worse hopefully the exhaust pipe is not cracked, if it is the water jacket is leaking into the hull

a bad carbon ring can also cause cavitation and kill your holeshot
    Regarding the above comment, though helpful, i dont really know what/where any of that stuff is... so any help with clarifying that would be really helpful.

In my job im the one breaking the boats.. not fixing them....... heh

Thanks fellas!

Thanks guys, sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to this thread. I've been at work the past few days. The day i posted this thread i launched it and took a look inside the hull, engine running and off, but i have really no idea what i am looking at. Needless to say i called my seadoo dealer back down in NC and they suggested that i take a look at the hoses for my bailers. I didnt have this problem last summer and i noticed it after the winter, so maybe the one cold day last winter in NC did something... who knows. The dealer emailed me some diagrams and told me to check all the clamps and such. also there were some bolts they suggested that I check.... by looking at the diagrams they are back by the venturi assembly.... not 100% where/which ones they are. Tommorow when i get back up to Grand Haven im going TRY to check all those out...

Regarding the above comment, though helpful, i dont really know what/where any of that stuff is... so any help with clarifying that would be really helpful.

Thanks fellas!

Remove the drive shaft cover and at the thru hull area you will see a rubber boot the carbon seal is held in place by a hose clamp. The pressure from the rubber boot holds it against the flat metal ring. Never lube that carbon seal with anything but WATER. Inspect that boot for tears. You can do that by loosening the clamps and rotating it. To replace those items if need be you have to R&R the pump and drive shaft.

You live in MI. You should be using antifreeze in that thing for winterization. Gets way to cold there not to. If you do then good but thought I should throw that in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    You live in MI. You should be using antifreeze in that thing for winterization. Gets way to cold there not to. If you do then good but thought I should throw that in there.
    they were in NC this past winter, but this winter i will be for sure doing that.

+1

Also, when im running it without the seat on there is some smoke coming out of the hull... ive never noticed that before.

Thanks fellas!
    Take a very close look at the Resonator (the plastic Pan Flute looking thing that sits under your left butt cheek. Smoke and water in the hull...often a resonator.

BTW, I put AF in them in SC, let alone NC. Unless you keep them in a heated garage you are asking for trouble by NOT doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Take a very close look at the Resonator (the plastic Pan Flute looking thing that sits under your left butt cheek. Smoke and water in the hull...often a resonator.

BTW, I put AF in them in SC, let alone NC. Unless you keep them in a heated garage you are asking for trouble by NOT doing so.

That would make perfect sense Krunch it is plastic. I live in Oregon and winters here can get pretty cold sometimes. With my first ski I asked a guy at a shop about using AF and his reply was why? I doesn't get that cold here. Thought about it for a sec and went home and did it any way. We had two solid weeks of temps well below freezing that year.

Aaron AF is cheap insurance compared to the alternatives and it's pretty easy to make your own fake a lake that screws into the rear flush port. I use a large drain pan under the pump to catch what comes out and a 5 gal bucket under the pisser. Just make sure to use a propylene glycol based AF. It is considered less toxic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information