First ride of the year in michigan!!! Need more power!

live in bay city michigan and couldnt wait anymore so we headed to the water....air temp 65.....water temp 57.....buddy was on my 1050 and I was riding the pro 1200 people were looking at us like we were crazy but with shoes jeans and sweatshirts on it really wasnt that bad....first chance I got to gps the 1200.....not very happy!!!!!! 59.4....so to all you experts out there....where do I start??? I neeeeed more power....kinda like to start small and work my way up...any one know of a good impeller to start with??
    Last edited by Thegofastgarage; 05-02-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: better title

+1
    Where did you get that water temp ? Lake Michigan is like 39deg mid-lake.

What RPM did the 1200 run at ?

rpm was 6630-6660....my cuz is really big into fishing and has all the gadgets...you have to remember we are right in the saginaw bay and its surface temp.....I have even noticed mid summer there is a pretty big temp diff between the bay and going out into lake huron over by port huron....im around 170..my buddy has about 100lbs on me and i was far from running away from him on the 1050....if anything it was a crawl at times sometimes they were dead nuts even

+1
    6700 rpm is normal. Was the Pro set up for racing ? Does it really have the nose in the water compared to the 1050 ?

virgin ski.....all stock....after talking with my buddy and explaining how it is cavitating out of the hole abit he seems to think this is where I should start......

+1
    Check the grate for looseness,the pump show is sealed well, the impellor blades are good and not curled on the ends or chipped, check the wear ring wall clearence with the impellor. and the vanes on the stator pump for cracks or broken/missing blades.

Pump bearings could be bad causing a little drag. What compression numbers do you have for the engine? The lower the slower youll go!

Is there a wedge in the pump? what size? a 4 ,6? or none... That can make a difference in top speed.

The throttle blades opening all the way when you go full throttle? Well a few ideas to check anyways.lol

Cracking in the pump area? Impellor turning smooth in the wear ring? Out of alignment could cause a loss of speed. A warped driveshaft could slow ya down too.

Thread Information