Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hull painting tips ?

Hey Guys,

I have searched the forums, and didn't really find what I was looking for. The hull on my 98 GP1200 is getting a bit rough looking, and I would like to freshen it up.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to best prepare the hull, sanding, fillers, primers and top coating for best results ?? Brands to use/stay away from ?

This is my first experience with fiberglass repair/painting. so any tips will be helpful

I am going to start on the bottom first, to get some practice in

+1
    I actually just asked a similar question myself in another thread....
    Ive got a 99 Im wanting to paint back to factory looks ( the white bottom / top blue ) before I drop the new engine and pump in...

ANY help is highly appreciated everyone.....
    St4ngster G luck with yours too!

+1
    Another paint question -

Im replacing the pump assembly, all but the grate.

Can I paint the old ride plate and grate with just regular spray paint ( rattle can ) ?
    Mine has some corrosion, so I'd like to clean them up a bit before putting them back in - THANKS again!

i work at a body shop i can help!

Quote Originally Posted by St4ngster View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have searched the forums, and didn't really find what I was looking for. The hull on my 98 GP1200 is getting a bit rough looking, and I would like to freshen it up.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to best prepare the hull, sanding, fillers, primers and top coating for best results ?? Brands to use/stay away from ?

This is my first experience with fiberglass repair/painting. so any tips will be helpful

I am going to start on the bottom first, to get some practice in
    does it have any badd bad scratches or just some minor ones and some scuffs? if small scratches scuff the scratch and area around with 180 use some two part putty to fill and wet sand with a block 360 with light pressure to sand smooth. do all scrapes and scratches u can fill with edge of nail. if not worried bout all scratches u can use a orbital sander with 180 and sand sum small scratches and scuffs out. be careful to keep it movin around and flat so u do not dig into gelcoat. look like ocean b careful. once u fix area on bottom, mask area off with paper and apply and two part primer. prefer ppg or any good quality from local auto stores napa oreilys etc, apply two good coats flash in between.allow to dry 2 r 3 hours and wet sand with a block prefer or hand with 360 or 400. just the primer area. the rest of the hull that has no damage u can sand with 1200 r 1000 wet to scuff the clear and blend or sand the whole bottom with 400 and apply sealer everywher u used 400. covers ur primer and covers ur 400 scratches. best to paint whole bottom to match. find u some paint i prefer ppg, mix with reducer apply 2 to 3 coats dry between coats. then get some ppg or omni clear any 2 to 1 mix. apply two or 3 coats cure a wk and that it!
    any more questions let me know here to help. kno i did not get it all but tried! hope not lose u yet!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Another paint question -

Im replacing the pump assembly, all but the grate.

Can I paint the old ride plate and grate with just regular spray paint ( rattle can ) ?
    Mine has some corrosion, so I'd like to clean them up a bit before putting them back in - THANKS again!
    yeah u can use rattle can but i would recommend lookin for some epoxy paint in a rattle can get it at advance auto. u will need t sand those parts with some 360 weet or if corrosion bad sand with 180 on da and prime if want but the epoxy will cover the scratches give ur paint something to stick to

+1
    Thanks for the info -
    Still being noob, I wasnt sure if painting these parts would hurt anything as far as the ski handling or whatever.
    Does the corrosion affect the way it makes the ski move at all ?
    Its not extremely bad, but you can still see, even after lightly sanding, the pin holes or damage in it!!

Thanks for the info Tillerytime. The bottom of the hull must have been painted before, as it is starting to flake off. Other than that, no real bad damage, just a few nicks and scratches.

no water will not affect it

make sure u take the shiny off if noy scuff paint and clear will flake got to have something to grab

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information