Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best way

+1

best way

I'm getting ready to set my engine back in my ski after a rebuild. I took it out in pieces. So it was easy to remove by hand. I'm putting it back in complete. Seems like it will be difficult to do by hand, but i don't have a hoist. Will it be difficult to do? Getting all the lines hooked up seems like it will be tough with out having it hang on a hoist. Speaking of lines and hoses, I don't remember where they all go. I pulled this engine last year in Oct. Anyone near Toledo,OH that could help? I've been reading the manual, but it just doesn't give you good pics of where/how all the lines hook up. At least for me...

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    we dont know what type of ski you're working on, so we cant give any advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    we dont know what type of ski you're working on, so we cant give any advice.
    99 gtx rfi

+1
    Pretty boat, always one of my favorite color schemes.

I used to have use of a lift but had to give it back to Pops. That said, if you have an overhead area (like in a garage) a simple rope hoist can be bought from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool. The manual ones are cheaper but you will need an assistant.

On another note, you CAN put that particular engine in that hull by hand. Some things are easier to hook up if it is suspended but you can usually work around that if the pipe is off and you can tilt the engine around a bit while you get stuff connected.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    What I like to do is find a piece of board maybe 2 2X6 or a plywood cut out and place it on top of the seat cavity, and take my time with that heavy block,. I go from work bench to the wood, then from there I climb up the ski and with a rope I slowly drop the engine down.

You also dont want to break the exhaust pipe. I mean take it apart, it will be a biotch putting it together inside the hull. you can actaully take it out in one piece, I've done so on a GSXL and a XPL, takes time but well worth it.

+1
    i just put the motor back into my gtx rfi about a month ago. you can do it by hand. just have a friend help you lift it up and over and then down onto the mounts. to make it easy on yourself, just put the motor together outside the boat. leave the throttle body, pipe, and fuel rail off the motor as they are rather easy to put on in the hull.

+1
    Max,

That RFI is not like that 947s as far as engine size and pipe, ect. In that hull it should be a lot easier to deal with.

I now have an electric hoist but before that on the smaller ones i would just lean over the side and pop it in, but with the larger seadoo 2st i would push the ski as close to the bench where the long block is, stradle the seat opening lean over to the bench grab the engine lift over the side and drop it in but make sure you have somewhere to rest it in case of hand position adjustments.

+1
    I guess I'm gonna use a hoist. My friend has a chain fall in the garage of his business. It hasn't been used in years, but he said I'm welcome to use it. It will make hooking up the lines on the bottom much easier. I'm hoping to get it done before I leave on another business trip on Saturday.

+1

Easy install in that big Hull.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Max,

That RFI is not like that 947s as far as engine size and pipe, ect. In that hull it should be a lot easier to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information