Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pro 785 CDI box in 1996 SL780...newbe from PWCtoday here!

Ok... I got my CDI box wet inside accidentally, and it is now sluggish to go to high rpms... not running in limp mode, just sluggish... so I've been looking at replacing the cdi box... but while I'm at it, I thought I might as well get something that was going to help the performance more so than the stock box... so I've been looking at the pro 785 CDI for my 1996 sl780... my question is, will it be a direct swap, and will I be able to run it at the 785 settings without making changes... Also, premium gas... is it a must? I know the 785 has a much higher rev limiter, that's pretty much all I know... I just want to know the difficulty of switching the box out... from what I've red it's pretty straight forward for the 780, a little more difficult for the 650.

I was directed here from PWCtoday, where they said I would get better responses from more seasoned experts! So, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jared

Ride Mohave To Havasu. Live In Los Angeles.
    Welcome. The Pro785 cdi is a great addition to the 780. You will not be concerned with the higher rev limiter because you won't be anywhere near it with a stock 780. What the Pro cdi does do is advance the timing more at lower rpm for better throttle response and maybe a little better mid range? There are several threads on here on how to install it. Do a search. It will connect right up except for having to switch one or two terminals on the wires.

I forgot to add that your problem might not be the cdi at all? If you got water in the electric box, you might have gotten water in the engine and you could have hydrolecked it or had a seizure which would give the same symptom. Have you done a compression check? That's where I would start.

+1
    Jared, it's late but you'll get plenty of input. The swap is easy and I can get you both wiring diagrams later tonight and you can decide just how easy it is. Remember the timing is much more advanced, I should be able to dig up the stuff up for you pretty quick, so supreme will be a must with the PRO CDI.

Oh and WELCOME to Green Hulk!!!

+1
    O.K. at 3000 RPM the PRO is already running 32 degrees of timing as opposed to 28 degrees of the 780. The Pro also runs 14 degrees at 7500RPM, you'll feel the difference seat of pants for sure. Do remember you're going to raise the RPM limiter on the 780 as it's set to 6700 RPM and the PRO is still pulling RPM's.

Yeah you might want let off the throttle when coming out of the water when jumping or the pump getting unhooked. Definitely run minimum 91 octane. Some states have 92 and 93. If you have it then use that?

+1
    SL, you wouldn' worry about the free rev RPM's for say when he's out of the water (ocean wave or something like that?) and maybe grabbing a handful? I always wonder about that.

+1
    LOL You already answered my thought.

Wow!

That's more responses than I would get at pwctoday in a week!

I am definatly impressed, and I am definatly getting the pro CDI.. what would be a good price to expect to pay for a used one?

Oh, I may have gotten a little water in the engine, but I don't think so.. there is no hesitation at all, it seems like the computer is faulting not letting it go to the higher rpms instantly... and it was going into limp mode even though nothing was wrong shortly after it got water in there.. I took out the circuit board... not rusted... the two chips to the left of it seamed to be water tight... should I be worried about them? they do not look like they could get water in them.... I plan do do a carb rebuild soon depending on difficulty.. this is my first ski.. but I have experience with mechanics with only my car.. so I'm hoping I can tackle it... also do a cylinder rebuild... but for now she is running great starts every time and runs until out of gas! I am using pennsoil fully sythetic tcwIII oil.. and I have check each oil line to verify that oil is pulsing into each cylinder.

Great, I will definatly be getting the pro CDI then...! sooooo, no adjustments are really needed then, just plug and play (after splicing a few connections..)

we have 93 octane..but the tank is currently full of 87 octane (regular), and I may get the new cdi before I run al that out.. ok to top off with 93 and then only fill with 93 then and thereafter?

Thanks!

Jared

Have you checked your tank for water? How about the fuel/water seperator? Is the red ring on the bottom or floating?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information