Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

93 polaris piston problem

Hi I have been on green Hulk for about a year now, and you guys have saved my but multiple times with your info! Much appreciated! so I have 93 polaris 650 that puked on me in the water last year, I recently tore it apart and the front piston top is scarred up pretty bad, and the head has alot of shavings melted to it, but the cylinder looks awesome still?

I am looking for suggestions on what to do to get her back up and running, but I live in Michigan and money is tight! would I be ok just replacing the front piston and rings and misc. the other pistons still look great! and when I opened it up I thought it would be worse, so im sure its from a lean condition, (single fuel pump) Thanks for your help Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	043.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	186215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	058.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	186216  

In my opinion, either the piston ring broke and the pieces did the damage to the head and piston crown or, the crank bearings are coming apart and those pieces are doing the damage.

Hi thanks for the help, and I know you can really get a good look from the picture, but the chunks missing from the piston appear to be whats sticking to the head, if its the lean fuel problem what do the pistons usually look like? and also when you look at the outside of the piston you can see its not as perfectley round as it should be? what makes you question the crank?Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar jeff View Post
    Hi thanks for the help, and I know you can really get a good look from the picture, but the chunks missing from the piston appear to be whats sticking to the head, if its the lean fuel problem what do the pistons usually look like? and also when you look at the outside of the piston you can see its not as perfectley round as it should be? what makes you question the crank?Thanks for the help!
    All of those marks in the piston and head, are from debris. More often than not, it's either from a broken ring or the bearings on the crank, are falling apart, and getting into the cylinder. Based on your pictures, it's difficult to say if a lean condition contributed to the problem. There's no longer any wash to be seen on the piston crown because it's been hammered, by the metal debris. You need to remove the piston and take a closer look at it to determine what's going on. Also, at that time, you'll be able to peak inside the case and check out that section of the crank. Post some pics and we can give you a better idea of what might have happened.

I will tear it apart again, Do you know is there a way of getting the head off without taking the whole exhaust manifold off? I was thinking about cutting off the continous gasket between the 3 heads, and just replacing the one section of the gasket, and Im guessing do not try to reuse the head gaskets (metal), also do you know off hand if a 95 750 head can be used on the 93 650? Thanks again!

I will tear it apart again, Do you know is there a way of getting the head off without taking the whole exhaust manifold off? I was thinking about cutting off the continuous gasket between the 3 heads, and just replacing the one section of the gasket, and Im guessing do not try to reuse the head gaskets (metal), also do you know off hand if a 95 750 head can be used on the 93 650? Thanks again!
    Why are you tearing it apart again? Did you already repair it and put it back together?

Cylinder heads can be removed without removing the exhaust manifold. However, I think you meant to say, can the cylinder be removed without removing the exhaust manifold? The short answer is yes, but how easy it will be, will depend on what cylinder you are trying to remove. You still might have to loosen most of the manifold bolts and of course remove the ones on that cylinder, to get it off. You should be able to buy separate exhaust manifold gaskets rather than the one piece style, that you are currently using.

I wouldn't recommend reusing exhaust manifold gaskets.

Head gaskets can be reused but make sure you spray them with "Copper Kote" before you reinstall them. It's a little risky reusing them but most of the time, it will work.

I'm just guessing, however, I don't think a 750 head will work well on a 650. Among other things, I think the head CCs are different between the two and it will significantly impact compression. Maybe someone else out there will know for sure and can answer that question.

I pulled it apart real quick on saturday to just get a look at whats up with it, pulled the heads off real quick to see what was going on and seen the damaged pistojn up front, the other 2 looked good, so that was my question as to just replacing the front piston and misc, I keep it outside so its a pain and i dont want to leave it open while I wait for parts as I figure it would do mor damage than good! and as we both live in Michigan we know how bad the economy is here! If its the Crank I will probably part it out, If its $200 - 300 and I can fix it myself I would love to get it back up and running! as it still looks good!

If the chunks are from the rings, is there a way of getting them out of the block? or does the whole Motor need to be dis assembled?

I would get that cylinder off and post some pics of the piston sides, inside of cylinder, rod, and crank. Check the rod for vertical and horizontal movement and let us know what you find.

Where about in Michigan are you?

Im in aubrun hills by the silverdomeb but my skis are in new Baltimore area! Thanks for the PM and the help! If I have time I will try tommorow, I hate to see it just getting parted out, and Its been eating at me all winter as to wether it can even be fixed or if its worth it? I will get more pics! Thanks again!

Im in aubrun hills by the silverdomeb but my skis are in new Baltimore area! Thanks for the PM and the help! If I have time I will try tommorow, I hate to see it just getting parted out, and Its been eating at me all winter as to wether it can even be fixed or if its worth it? I will get more pics! Thanks again!
    You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information