Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Drive shaft vibration

    Hi, I have a 96 sl 700. Today I was looking in the engine compartment while the PWC was on in the water. i noticed that the drive shaft was vibrating. It seemed to be alot of vibration. I am not sure. Is this supposed to vibrate?

    If not, does this mean that the impeller is bad or the housing?

    How hard is it to replace an impeller?


    Thanks


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    The engine was not vibrating as much as the drive shaft was?

    I would pull the jet pump off, and start checking things.

  3. #3
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Not sure on the domestics, but the Fuji's vibrate pretty good around 1200 RPM, once you rev up the engine it smooths out.

  4. #4
    casey67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lemont,IL
    Posts
    2,571
    +1
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Hi, I have a 96 sl 700. Today I was looking in the engine compartment while the PWC was on in the water. i noticed that the drive shaft was vibrating. It seemed to be alot of vibration. I am not sure. Is this supposed to vibrate?

    If not, does this mean that the impeller is bad or the housing?

    How hard is it to replace an impeller?


    Thanks
    Did you see the driveshaft wobble ? If the thru hull bearing/seal is wobbling,I would say it's the drive shaft that is bent ( when removed you could roll it on a flat surface)

    Check your engine mounts to make sure none are broken( trying to move the engine left/right-up/down will find a broken mount)

  5. #5
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,775
    +1
    400

    coupler

    if its a bonded coupler the splines may not be centered anymore

  6. #6
    I just bought a 96 slt700 doing the same thing, Was told wear ring ? I can wiggle the impeller a little with a long screw driver from outside discharge.

    What would cost be at shop? I'm handy, but told need impeller removal tools , etc. Thanks

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by surfmaster911 View Post
    I just bought a 96 slt700 doing the same thing, Was told wear ring ? I can wiggle the impeller a little with a long screw driver from outside discharge.

    What would cost be at shop? I'm handy, but told need impeller removal tools , etc. Thanks
    You do not need any special tools to remove the jet pump. Links in my signature show you how.

    Once off, inspect the impeller bearings for play. SHould be zero looseness in the bearings, and smooth rotation.

    The special impeller removal tool is only $10 at Overtons, under $20 on eBay.

  8. #8
    When I crank it over, I hear a knocking noise coming from right behind housing bearing in hull., And for the few minutes i had it in the water, it had a high pitched winy sound.
    How is this bearing actually held in ? All I see is the zerk fitting and a hose around shaft. Is this all that holds the bearing in ? I believe I'm looking at the thru hull hosing being bad and is is an easy fix?

    I'm going to get a shop manual before I start as it looks pretty easy. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I will need for parts and availability, so I'll know what I'm going to spend.

    Thanks, you have some good links.

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,591
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by surfmaster911 View Post
    When I crank it over, I hear a knocking noise coming from right behind housing bearing in hull., And for the few minutes i had it in the water, it had a high pitched winy sound...
    I suspect the bearings in the actual jet pump have failed.

    Remove the jet pump, inspect the bearings.

  10. #10
    ok, I'll checking everything, I'll most likely do this in a week or so. I'm not a newbie on wrenching , just on waverunners. This looks so easy, and I only paid $300 for it and motor starts right up and sounds good.... and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new/used computerized one !

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Drive Shaft vibration and noise also limp mode...
    By ricmagana in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 10:02 AM
  2. Vibration in Drive shaft
    By antoniodef in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
  3. Drive Shaft Plug Replacement
    By 1FastTrespiper in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 10:47 PM
  4. how to remove rear drive shaft coupler
    By chuck in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 08:37 AM
  5. aftermarket drive shaft question...
    By dewsy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •