Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 260x First Oil Change...Dealer or Do it yourself???

The dealer down here in south texas is telling me that the first oil change should be done around 10 hours. They also are saying that it will cost $275. Does anybody have any opinions on dealer vs. do it yourself???

do it yourself, go with 10-40 Mobil 1 motorcycle racing fully synthetic oil, 4.5 quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by KWO View Post
    The dealer down here in south texas is telling me that the first oil change should be done around 10 hours. They also are saying that it will cost $275. Does anybody have any opinions on dealer vs. do it yourself???

+1
    DIY why pay $275.00 for 15 minutes work

Dealer says that they go through a 30 point inspection and change the plugs... one more question....should i keep putting regular oil in till around 25 hours or is it safe to switch to syn oil already???

+1
    Dealer says that they go through a 30 point inspection and change the plugs... one more question....should i keep putting regular oil in till around 25 hours or is it safe to switch to syn oil already???
    I would bring it to a dealer for the first, cause they're going to check a few thing and if you do it yourself and don't inspect everything, it will only be a excuse for not warranty it if something happen. But $275 is way to high check with another dealer. My first oil change was free, the dealer said it was a post sale service

+1
    buy one of these and smooth as butter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now i am getting the run around from the dealer i bought it from....he said at 50 hours for oil / filter change...at 25 hours oil only and at 10 hours just check the belt...tried to get a first oil change free...no dice

Now i am getting the run around from the dealer i bought it from....he said at 50 hours for oil / filter change...at 25 hours oil only and at 10 hours just check the belt...tried to get a first oil change free...no dice

Just check the belt? what about all the hose clamps, steering, etc. Those are all things that can need adjustment/tightening. As long as you do what the owners manual states under servicing you are ok. Some people like to change the oil at first 10 hours (me included) but i would stick with kawi dyno oil this early in the game. Plugs, make shure they have antiseize on them so would not hurt to pull em and goop em up. Dont over tighten them or you will be sorry.
    Belt, you can buy the belt tension tool and do yourself also. If you start doing everything yourself, first invest in the Service Manual which tells you how to do all these things.
    If you are not mechanical, just let the dealer do it and dont worry about it much ( although i like to check the dealers work).

If ya do it yourself Dont overfill. I had a service agreement with my dealer and it comes back 1/2 quart over all the time. f it is overfilled RPMs will be down

+1
    It looks like changing the oil filter is really going to be a b*tch and a big mess? Are there any tricks here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information