Raider 1100 help after carb/fuel pump rebuild

I've tried to find an answer to this on my own but, so far, no luck.

I just rebuilt the carbs (over the winter) on my 95 wave raider 1100 and just last week rebuilt the fuel pump as well. I also put a block off plate on and switched to pre-mix for the gas. I reset the carbs to factory settings, and the ski will start up OK and run fine at idle, but as soon as I get a bout 1/4 way up on the throttle it 'pukes' and instantly dies. After playing around with the carb settings a bit, I am pretty sure that it is not the carb settings causing this. I am about to re-check all of the fuel lines to make sure that they are hooked up correctly, but I have a couple of other questions as well.

1. Is it necessary to put in new jets after rebuilding the carbs? And, how long will the jets last? I thought they looked fine when I did the rebuild, but then again, I am an 'amateur' to a lot of this.

2. How often should the needles (high and low) be changed?

3. Anything else that I might be missing after the rebuilds/changes that I have made to the ski?

(If anyone is in the Cleveland, OH area and wants to lend a hand, I'd be willing to pay money for some help with this so I can have this thing ready to go for the summer!)

Really appreciate any/all help!! Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasond32 View Post
    I've tried to find an answer to this on my own but, so far, no luck.

I just rebuilt the carbs (over the winter) on my 95 wave raider 1100 and just last week rebuilt the fuel pump as well. I also put a block off plate on and switched to pre-mix for the gas. I reset the carbs to factory settings, and the ski will start up OK and run fine at idle, but as soon as I get a bout 1/4 way up on the throttle it 'pukes' and instantly dies. After playing around with the carb settings a bit, I am pretty sure that it is not the carb settings causing this. I am about to re-check all of the fuel lines to make sure that they are hooked up correctly, but I have a couple of other questions as well.

1. Is it necessary to put in new jets after rebuilding the carbs? And, how long will the jets last? I thought they looked fine when I did the rebuild, but then again, I am an 'amateur' to a lot of this.

If stock....put stock jetting back in ....keep in mind the jetting is different from carb to carb!

2. How often should the needles (high and low) be changed?

Never....unless you running it on the ragged edge of lean/rich

3. Anything else that I might be missing after the rebuilds/changes that I have made to the ski?

Sounds like ya missed something in the carbs and or put something in the wrong carb?

(If anyone is in the Cleveland, OH area and wants to lend a hand, I'd be willing to pay money for some help with this so I can have this thing ready to go for the summer!)

Really appreciate any/all help!! Thanks!

M

My raider 1100 does the same thing everytime I take it out to the water from home, but only the first minute or so. Everything is fine after I let the fuel system cycle through.

Are you having this problem with the ski out of the water?

+1
    I have had mixed results with rebuilding the fuel pumps on these, I am of the opinion if it is not near new then replace it. I am starting to recommend to my customers to replace rather the rebuild these pumps. In fact if I rebuilt one for them and it fails I just send a new one no questions asked. They are cheap enough not really worth the cost to rebuild IMO.

To test yours put some clear fuel hose on from the pump to the carb, fire it up you can get a good idea if this is working properly or not. Also some of the 1100 had a small .020" hole for a restrictor on the last fitting for the return to tank, I have seen these plug as well. Not all of them are the same some have the restrictors built into each cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chris 1100 019.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	186548  

Appreciate the replies, and just wanted to let you know that I think we have it figured out. Without going into a long story; the spark plugs were bad. The plugs were actually newer plugs, but they were fouled up pretty badly. This was one of the reasons I wanted to put the block off plate on and go to pre mix, because it seemed to me that the oil pump was pumping way too much oil into the engine and causing it to run very rich...

Thanks!

Thread Information