Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spark Bolt in Bilge FX SHO (08)

Some of us are not mechanics. While changing the spark plug, one of the bolts fell under the engine, along with the wrench. Does any one have a suggestion for removing them? Tried a magnet already.

It was one of the blots that holds the electronic tube that goes to the spark.
    What do you think of running with out one bolt for a few hours? Cant get a replacement in time for the ride.

In the future I think I will bit a towel along the gap to catch such things, as it is not the first time.

+1
    You said you've tried a magnet already. Have you tried tying a magnet to a few feet of twine (and securing it w/ electrical tape around the magnet, twine and knot) and fishing for it that way. Might have to make a lot of "casts" under the engine with the magnet, but it always works for me eventually.

Also a small mirror & bright light helps a lot.

When i have had really tough hardware fall in I used to jack the trailer up as high as I can get it by using the tongue jack on top of a maxed out car jack. I then would shove the hose under the gas tank and turn it on full blast. It would flush any thing in the hull to the back mid wall then use the magnet to fish it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    You said you've tried a magnet already. Have you tried tying a magnet to a few feet of twine (and securing it w/ electrical tape around the magnet, twine and knot) and fishing for it that way. Might have to make a lot of "casts" under the engine with the magnet, but it always works for me eventually.

Also a small mirror & bright light helps a lot.
    if u are in a pinch get a similiar bolr from a hardware store. can u see it?
    u might have someone wirh thin arms fish for it by hand.
    it will probably end up at the rear of the engine compartment.....
    i have found quarters. jenga blocks and ambercrombia fich tank top all in the bildge.
    i think someone had a really fun ride too loose a females tanktop.

All good suggestions and 1 bolt on the coil I would not worry about. Just order a new one or ride until you find it in the back of the ski. It will ultimately show up.

+1
    Not sure of the exact layout of the Sho.....but should be similar to a HO.
    I find the best way to retrieve things from under the motor is to remove seat transom, then remove coupler cover, that will give you clear access to that area.
    Then just get something under the motor to flick the bolt down towards the back of the ski.....I use a thin steel rule....usually works quite well.

A pic with transom & coupler cover removed (FXHO)

+1
    I dropped a bolt and rode with it for 10+ hours. I don't recommend this but I found it in the bilge after a while.

+1
    I tilt my trailer back till the ride plate is on the ground, then use a hose and let her rip under the motor. Plugs out of course The missing stuff always ends up in the back everytime where I can grab it. Dude if you dropped a wrench too....that needs to come out . I dropped the exact same bolt just two days ago while hooking up my tiny tach.

+1
    compressed air works a treat your magnet wont do jack shit if its a stainless bolt. un-retrieved bolts have been known to rub holes in crankcases of some ski's. goodluck don't give up at least you didnt drop something internal into the motor like someone i know and have to pull the motor to retrieve it

+1
    your magnet wont do jack shit if its a stainless bolt

That's not accurate. It's the formulation of the stainless steel (amount of nickel) that determines whether it will stick to a magnet.

On the Yamahas, most of the in-hull bolts will stick to a magnet. Those outside the hull (pump, rideplate, intake) are a different grade and non-magnetic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information