Electrical problem - Starting

Got this weird issue I'm working on. It's a 98 GSX 951 which the startedr kicks out to early during starting making it difficult to start. Here's what I know...It's not the start button as I disconnected the connector at the relay and I get 12v continuously. It's not the relay or bendix as when I appy a 12v source to the relay it'll turn over and over as long as I'm activating the relay.
    I'm worried it's in the MPEM...It seems to be cutting out the starter as soon as it engages and turns the motor...It will start but it takes a few tries. Anyone else seen this problem?

sounds like to me that the Hold In windings on the solenoid are bad, or your battery is bad, could be a few things. just replace the relay, make sure your battery is good and check any fuses, sounds like one of those things that are part way messed up.

One other thing I didn't mention is that some has added a switch to turn on the gauges. They have jumped a wire across from the gauge power to the constant 12v. Seems like somthing has gone bad in the start up circuit in the MPEM.

Replace the Starter Solenoid before anything else--cheapest part which could cause that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    It's not the relay or bendix as when I appy a 12v source to the relay it'll turn over and over as long as I'm activating the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by X2guy View Post
    One other thing I didn't mention is that some has added a switch to turn on the gauges. They have jumped a wire across from the gauge power to the constant 12v. Seems like somthing has gone bad in the start up circuit in the MPEM.
    ok Just do some more riggin, just put a push button switch somewhere that will activate the relay to turn the starter, I'm guessing that if your key is in and you just start turning over the motor without the handle bar button,( with your added push button switch) It should still start.

Quote Originally Posted by xBigDaddyx117 View Post
    ok Just do some more riggin, just put a push button switch somewhere that will activate the relay to turn the starter, I'm guessing that if your key is in and you just start turning over the motor without the handle bar button,( with your added push button switch) It should still start.
    If you truly are not loosing the 12v signal to the solenoid and it is just a weak current issue you could use the existing signal to operate a relay. Very little current is required to operate a relay. Use the high current side of the relay to operate the starter solenoid. That would allow you to use the factory switch. I've done this with a few cars before when getting parts right now was an issue. If that does not work then I would say you need to rig an extra start button. This relay operates on a min of 8.45VDC and has a current consumption of 145 milliamps which is nothing. It will run up to a 40amp circuit.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220309882

Thread Information