Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ethanol or no ethanol

im just wondering about the effects of ethanol in the gas and how it can effect the skis performance..is it worth it to pay extra for the gas without ethanol at the marinas

+1
    Just pick up a bottle of Sta-Bil and add it at every fill up and you should be fine.

stabil

that works good...is it an affordable price

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

no ethanol

just exactly is the premium charge for no-ethanol fuel?..it's it's like 50 cents a gallon then I'd just fill with regular for the days ride and top up with the no ethanol stuff

+1

Smile

Gator,
    Thanks for the information... I use sta bil during the off season too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by giguchan View Post
    Gator,
    Thanks for the information... I use sta bil during the off season too
    Don't mention it

+1

Question

Funny though... Some of the boating, trailer magazines I read at least once a month in the letters section there is always someone who asks about ethanol."it destroying my engine please tell me what to do" shame though. i know it's what... 10% in certain parts of the country.. is is worse or better in others?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

hit or miss

ethanol can be a hit or miss problem, somebody screws up at the oil terminal ( where ethanol is addded to straight gas) and you can have a huge problem. In another post I mentioned that we suspect a problem up here last summer..maybe it was 20% ethanol in a load of local gas, well boats started vapor fuel system locking left and right..local wrenches were going nuts over it. Boat would stall, boat towed in boat would start, boat would stall....

Being such a fab solvent, if you've got crud in your tank or fuel system, ethanol will eventually loosen it up and let it float into your filters. Ski tanks are so agitaged during "normal use" that I don't see much in sudden crud syndrome..just creeping tempo crud mostly.

use a-1 or b-1 marine grade line of recent manufacture and you shouldn't have much in the way of problems. I suggest to folks that they fill tanks aftr use to reduce water absorbtion, since they tend to sit a week or three between trips up here. Also cuts out the dreaded visit to the pumps on the busy weekends if your tanks are full when you pull the skis out of storage.

The ethanol page on my site gets lots of hits..and it't one of the more common search terms folks use, so it has to be an issue methinks.

Likely to spike this summer when humidty reaches peak levels.

Plenty of good reading on the topic available.

+1

Smile

Peter,
    Thanks for the reply.it was pretty informative..I had an idea that Ethanol would cause all kinds of colorful problems. I'll just keep running STABIL in my tank and i should be good. We can look forward to the prices going this summer and for our skis we need all the good stuff.. Heck I already saw $3.19 and that was for regular.
    I'll follow up with some more reading.
    Thanks again.

Here in Hawaii, we have E-10 or 10% ethanol gas in all grades, it has been f'ing up some fuels systems on ski's due to leaving the ski sitting too long. My solution is to ride all you can. If the ski is going to sit for more than 2 weeks, put the BLUE stabil in. It is what I was told from my Kawi-tech. Had no problems since I did this. Oh yeah, you can get ethanol-free gas here, only in regular grade or 87 octane, I don't dare put that in my ski. Have upwards of 200 hours on my ski, runs quite well. Oh forgot to mention, last time I put gas in my ski, last Sunday, 3.75 a gallon... almost 70$ to fill after riding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information