Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

flywheel that is not inserted well can cause hard start?

can clearance of the magneto and flywheel cause hard start? i have a loose flywheel before and now my flywheel won't seat well on the shaft... so this clearance would cause clearance of the magneto ang the flywheel magnets, will this cause hard start???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It could cause starting problems.

More importantly the flywheel must have very good alignment with the crank shaft, or you will have engine vibration and possibly crank shaft bearing problems.

If the flywheel taper is not fitting onto the crank shaft snout properly, that needs to be corrected.

ok thanx... i just bought a new flywheel to fix the problem.. what is a flywheel taper?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andy95'slx780 View Post
    ok thanx... i just bought a new flywheel to fix the problem.. what is a flywheel taper?
    A Flywheel taper is located inside the "hole" of the flywheel. The Crankshaft end is also tapered ( meaning that the end of the crank is smaller on the end).

Its there to provide a snug fit as the wheel goes on. ie..getting tighter as it is put on all the way on the crankshaft. Makes for a clean tight close fit so nothing moves.

The hole in the flywheel is a little smaller on the end than on the inside. Same for the crank. its a matched set! 100ft-lbs is what it takes to lock it down properly.

The engine alignment tool also has a taper on it. That way it slides thru everything smoothly( impellor,thru hull bearing, coupler,and pump bearings and into the crank) and helps get everything in alignment.

Basically a taper is big on 1 end, small on the other. Hope this helps you undestand a little easier.

hmm.. that's why when my flywheel loosed ,then i got a problem on my flywheel hole broke, also broken taper...when i fabricated taper for the flywheel,the flywheel will not inserted firmly inside the crankshaft, could be a problem of the small to big clearance of the taper, Im having a hard-start problem even checked everything already from the starter, grounds etc., so i need to buy a new flywheel now... and i will test it again..

+1
    I have a perfect , no rust, magnets tight, oiled , bore is clean and is wrapped already 750 flywheel for 40.00 plus shipping to ya if your interested.

yeah, you need a perfect crankshaft end and flywheel. if the crank was ground down or on, thats a problem.. did you grind it down ? or just the flywheel? are there chips or chunks or pits on the crankshaft? if there is, it needs replacing.. it has to be smooth as glass on both to work.

i have the flywheel ordered already..and it will arrive on Monday, the problem is i don't have the original taper, i only fabricated the one i used, i only grind the flywheel because it caused problems on the groves when the taper loosed and broke, i will check again the flywheel hole...

+1
    [QUOTE=

I only grind the flywheel because

Did you mean the crankshaft end? your already getting a new flywheel coming in the mail.

because the flywheel hole is already damage of the loosed taper, so we weld it and grind back the hole to its original shape...but it didn't work, i can't insert the flywheel well, so thats why i ordered another flywheel...

+1
    we'll wait n see how the new one fits. go from there..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information