Thread: First Ski 900 ZXI
05-04-2010, 10:41 PM #1
- Join Date
- Apr 2010
- Palm Beach
First Ski 900 ZXI
hows it goin ya'll new to the forum and new to pwc's. i've been looking around for a few months and finally found a nice lookin 95 900 ZXI for a good price. So far everything has been going great. the ski hasn't been ran since last september but after about half hour of messin around i got it up and runnin. put it in at a fresh water canal, and it topped off around 51 on the gauge. took it out for another test run in the intracoastal in mild chop and experienced a good amount of porpoising. took it out, flushed it, waxed it, and ran a compression test. it came out 95-95-100. plugs looked ok when i too them out, but they seemed to be a little oily. ill try to post a picture but im not sure if my mac will let me. also, the trim doesn't work; i can hear a clicking but have no movement. i've read some of the other beginner and zxi threads, and know some of the basics to do to a newly purchased ski, like checking for crumbling lines, etc, but i just wanted to know a few more things. i'm a pretty handy guy but i'm definitely no ski expert so i would love to tackle some things by myself but i'm not ready to do a full engine rebuild or anything crazy like that.
1. how does that compression check out for a 15 y/o ski?
2. what other basic things should i check out before i start taking it out every weekend?
3. what type of oil should i use and maybe some pro's and con's of switching it over to premix.
4. the best aftermarket part to put on asap to cure some of the porpoising, like a ride plate or sponsons.
5. some good websites with info and parts for the zxi and maybe some people out there who have one with any good advice or some parts they need to get rid of
6. for any other zxi riders out there, a good combination of aftermarket parts to eventually put on the ski maybe ranked by importance. i don't need to be the fastest guy out there but i'd like it to handle well and be impressive out of the hole.
thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. i love my ski so far and can't wait to get it top-notch and have a good time out there. thanks guys!
05-08-2010, 03:53 PM #2
05-09-2010, 08:12 AM #3
- Join Date
- Aug 2005
I had one of these. Best impeller for it is the Nujet 5.0. Add it and see how it comes alive. Alot more playfull.
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM #4
Get the trim fixed and the porpoising will go away. Put the new style (Ultra 150 part) seal on the trim cable to keep water out.
x2 on the need for a top overhaul. Do it before you break a ring and it costs a lot more money!
Oil injection is fine, after you install polyurethane lines and secure them properly. Synthetic oils will generally leave the engine a little cleaner and smoke less.
05-09-2010, 11:15 PM #5
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Speedy4 in forum Kawasaki Open DiscussionReplies: 3Last Post: 11-27-2007, 06:01 AM
By jaminjarmin in forum Kawasaki Open DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
By cardudenc in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 0Last Post: 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
By grifter in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQsReplies: 0Last Post: 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
By axgrider73 in forum Kawasaki Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM