Drippin' Wet

First Ski 900 ZXI

hows it goin ya'll new to the forum and new to pwc's. i've been looking around for a few months and finally found a nice lookin 95 900 ZXI for a good price. So far everything has been going great. the ski hasn't been ran since last september but after about half hour of messin around i got it up and runnin. put it in at a fresh water canal, and it topped off around 51 on the gauge. took it out for another test run in the intracoastal in mild chop and experienced a good amount of porpoising. took it out, flushed it, waxed it, and ran a compression test. it came out 95-95-100. plugs looked ok when i too them out, but they seemed to be a little oily. ill try to post a picture but im not sure if my mac will let me. also, the trim doesn't work; i can hear a clicking but have no movement. i've read some of the other beginner and zxi threads, and know some of the basics to do to a newly purchased ski, like checking for crumbling lines, etc, but i just wanted to know a few more things. i'm a pretty handy guy but i'm definitely no ski expert so i would love to tackle some things by myself but i'm not ready to do a full engine rebuild or anything crazy like that.

1. how does that compression check out for a 15 y/o ski?
    2. what other basic things should i check out before i start taking it out every weekend?
    3. what type of oil should i use and maybe some pro's and con's of switching it over to premix.
    4. the best aftermarket part to put on asap to cure some of the porpoising, like a ride plate or sponsons.
    5. some good websites with info and parts for the zxi and maybe some people out there who have one with any good advice or some parts they need to get rid of
    6. for any other zxi riders out there, a good combination of aftermarket parts to eventually put on the ski maybe ranked by importance. i don't need to be the fastest guy out there but i'd like it to handle well and be impressive out of the hole.

thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. i love my ski so far and can't wait to get it top-notch and have a good time out there. thanks guys!

+1
    k

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysettles View Post
    hows it goin ya'll new to the forum and new to pwc's. i've been looking around for a few months and finally found a nice lookin 95 900 ZXI for a good price. So far everything has been going great. the ski hasn't been ran since last september but after about half hour of messin around i got it up and runnin. put it in at a fresh water canal, and it topped off around 51 on the gauge. took it out for another test run in the intracoastal in mild chop and experienced a good amount of porpoising. took it out, flushed it, waxed it, and ran a compression test. it came out 95-95-100. plugs looked ok when i too them out, but they seemed to be a little oily. ill try to post a picture but im not sure if my mac will let me. also, the trim doesn't work; i can hear a clicking but have no movement. i've read some of the other beginner and zxi threads, and know some of the basics to do to a newly purchased ski, like checking for crumbling lines, etc, but i just wanted to know a few more things. i'm a pretty handy guy but i'm definitely no ski expert so i would love to tackle some things by myself but i'm not ready to do a full engine rebuild or anything crazy like that.

1. how does that compression check out for a 15 y/o ski? Sounds low. Were you checking with all plugs out and throttle wide open? might be time to hone and re ring
    2. what other basic things should i check out before i start taking it out every weekend? Fuel Lines, oil lines, oil level, drain plug if you have one. general movement of all things that move
    3. what type of oil should i use and maybe some pro's and con's of switching it over to premix. Stick with one, dont mix them. I use Penzoil Synthetic, but that just me
    4. the best aftermarket part to put on asap to cure some of the porpoising, like a ride plate or sponsons. Fix the Trim First, then Ride plate , then sponsons, sponsons with limit you on spinning,e tc
    5. some good websites with info and parts for the zxi and maybe some people out there who have one with any good advice or some parts they need to get rid of Keep a look out here and on ebay
    6. for any other zxi riders out there, a good combination of aftermarket parts to eventually put on the ski maybe ranked by importance. i don't need to be the fastest guy out there but i'd like it to handle well and be impressive out of the hole.

thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. i love my ski so far and can't wait to get it top-notch and have a good time out there. thanks guys!

Zxi

I had one of these. Best impeller for it is the Nujet 5.0. Add it and see how it comes alive. Alot more playfull.

+1
    Get the trim fixed and the porpoising will go away. Put the new style (Ultra 150 part) seal on the trim cable to keep water out.

x2 on the need for a top overhaul. Do it before you break a ring and it costs a lot more money!

Oil injection is fine, after you install polyurethane lines and secure them properly. Synthetic oils will generally leave the engine a little cleaner and smoke less.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Synthetic oils will generally leave the engine a little cleaner and smoke less.
    This is true, I am running Amsoil Interceptor in my 1100 and love it. It hardly smokes at all and what smoking it does is VERY little. Burns very clean too. I am running premix though at 40:1 and the smoke is minimal

Thread Information