Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

250X Supercherger belt replacement - difficult?

I have a 2008 250x with a broken supercharger belt. I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions?

1. Do you need special tools to replace the belt?

2. Looking at the forums looks like the belts cost about $50? Cheaper through an automotive store?

3. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but have never worked on a 250X my previous ski was an 07 RXP - 215...is replacing the belt difficult? How long does it take?

4. Besides the belt is there anything else that has to be replaced while at it?

5. If I were to take it to a dealership what are they going to charge for this service?

I appreciate any help your willing to offer. I also have a 2007 250x that members helped me solve the problem with no top end so looking for some more guidance!

Replace SC Belt

Quote Originally Posted by nceduc8r View Post
    I have a 2008 250x with a broken supercharger belt. I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions?

1. Do you need special tools to replace the belt?

2. Looking at the forums looks like the belts cost about $50? Cheaper through an automotive store?

3. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but have never worked on a 250X my previous ski was an 07 RXP - 215...is replacing the belt difficult? How long does it take?

4. Besides the belt is there anything else that has to be replaced while at it?

5. If I were to take it to a dealership what are they going to charge for this service?

I appreciate any help your willing to offer. I also have a 2007 250x that members helped me solve the problem with no top end so looking for some more guidance!
    Me and my friend replaced his. It was a real pain in the butt. If you had an engine hoist it would be a lot easier!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nceduc8r View Post

1. Do you need special tools to replace the belt? belt tensioner tool

2. Looking at the forums looks like the belts cost about $50? Cheaper through an automotive store? look for Gates k060295, I got mine for under $20

3. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but have never worked on a 250X my previous ski was an 07 RXP - 215...is replacing the belt difficult? How long does it take? it is difficult because you need to unbolt the motor and move it forward a few inches to get the belt over the driveshaft

4. Besides the belt is there anything else that has to be replaced while at it? not sure

5. If I were to take it to a dealership what are they going to charge for this service? close to $300, I forget how many hours of labor this job is

Hope this is a start...

Just had mines changed last saturday. My Kawai Guy came from Honolulu. Took him about 1.5 hours. I also put on a new rogue racing pulley. I ride in salt and had some rust on pulley so changed it out. I would let the professionals handle this, thats just me. Others on here can change belts with their eyes closed. I'm not that talented! I pay therefore I ride!

Quote Originally Posted by hilomikey View Post
    Just had mines changed last saturday. My Kawai Guy came from Honolulu. Took him about 1.5 hours. I also put on a new rogue racing pulley. I ride in salt and had some rust on pulley so changed it out. I would let the professionals handle this, thats just me. Others on here can change belts with their eyes closed. I'm not that talented! I pay therefore I ride!
    Did he change anything else besides the 1-1 pully? If I am not mistaken there is a lot more to running that setup safely than just installing the pulley - you need to monitor/calibrate AFRs (use different injectors/etc) and I/C mod is suggested. Maybe you already had the setup and he just changed out the 1-1 for a new one?

I went with OEM pulley. So nothing else was changed. I do not race. I ride big waves like in my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by hilomikey View Post
    I went with OEM pulley. So nothing else was changed. I do not race. I ride big waves like in my avatar.
    Oh, I understand. Just trying to make sure you weren't about to shoot yourself in the foot there . Riding waves like that sounds like a ton of fun, I think I would crap my pants though .

Almost forgot...whether you change it yourself or have a dealership do it for you, this is a must have! Get some spare belts and just throw them on this thing and when you need to change one, you won't have to go through the hassle of moving the motor.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=560

Now that I look at it, that is $80 for 4 bolts and some sleeves? Has anyone found a way around this or know what is needed to get the same set up? I can go to a warehouse near me that sells this stuff and get my own parts for under $10, I just don't know the dimensions, threading, lengths etc...
    Last edited by BC18471; 05-05-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Cost

Quote Originally Posted by BC18471 View Post
    Almost forgot...whether you change it yourself or have a dealership do it for you, this is a must have! Get some spare belts and just throw them on this thing and when you need to change one, you won't have to go through the hassle of moving the motor.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=560

Now that I look at it, that is $80 for 4 bolts and some sleeves? Has anyone found a way around this or know what is needed to get the same set up? I can go to a warehouse near me that sells this stuff and get my own parts for under $10, I just don't know the dimensions, threading, lengths etc...
    there is a post on here somewhere. You can make your own spare belt holder. Its just some stainless screws. I did it on mine but dont remember where I found it on here, but its here. Search Spare Belt Holder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information