Heat Treating a Stock Drive Shaft?

Well thats my question If I had a Long drive shaft heat treated would it be as good as the Hot Seat Hardend? As far as i know its just heating and quenching right?

Will

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I would assume so. You could probably call a local heat treating company and ask them. I know the mold shop I worked at years ago would send stuff out. It may work for you.

Luckily theres a heat treating company 2 blocks from my house

will

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    It probably won't come back straight. When you heat treat, you rough machine, heat treat, then take your final cuts to get it to spec. If you heat treat after final machining, you releive the stress in the metal and it can warp. I'd ask the heat treater what they think. Also, you will need to find out what grade of metal it is, otherwise you could end up with a piece of glass!

+1
    If you are eating driveshafts, then more than likely something is wobbling... wobbly cranks eat the most driveshafts in Polaris skis.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    If you are eating driveshafts, then more than likely something is wobbling... wobbly cranks eat the most driveshafts in Polaris skis.
    Pretty sure that isnt my problem The stock 785s came with a short drive shaft, however switching to a long one is known to give a mile an hour or two. Hot Seat Performance made Hardened versions of these both I have a Hardened Shorty for now but its almost Impossible to find a long one that im looking for.

Also its a known fact that the Long Drive Shafts whip after a while on a ski with alot done to it concidering the increase in HP, and RPM.

+1
    Also its a known fact that the Long Drive Shafts whip after a while on a ski with alot done to it concidering the increase in HP, and RPM.
    Whatever.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OC00l
    Pretty sure that isnt my problem The stock 785s came with a short drive shaft, however switching to a long one is known to give a mile an hour or two. Hot Seat Performance made Hardened versions of these both I have a Hardened Shorty for now but its almost Impossible to find a long one that im looking for.

That is correct. When switching the 785 to the "extended pump" configuration, the hardened, long driveshaft must be used. The "unhardened" long shaft will suffer from "rotational whip", even with a perfect crank.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    That's why I say call the treaters. Addicted may be correct. I know a lot of stuff we got treated had to be finished ground when it came back. But it is only a drive shaft not a component in a big dollar mold. Yes could be come brittle that would suck.

Thread Information