Power Valve Issues?

I just purchased a gp1200r from a friend who said it ran good when he had it in the water last. First thing I did was tear it apart and put the d-plate/chip and waveeater power valve kit in. When I tore into the power valves, I found that #1 had lost it's pin but thankfully stuck open. That's where my luck ended. I plugged the battery in and the power valve motor cycles every 15 seconds with the engine off and doesn't seem to cycle at all with the engine on. I thought maybe this was a fluke since the ski hasn't ran in a while. I took it to the lake yesterday and it ran fine with the exception of a slight bog. It wouldn't let the engine run over 5800 rpm at 45 mph. I tried to unplug the power valves and open them up with results of a lot of bog and only 15mph. I then closed the valves with them unplugged and it was back up to 5800 rpm and 45 mph. The ski runs fine, it just seems to hit a wall and won't go over 5800 rpm. Is there something wrong with my power valve line or am I chasing the wrong problem?

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing the power valves to cycle every 15 seconds while the engine is off? Any idea of a fix or at least something I could try??

XLTNoob
    I don't know what's causing the powervalve servo motor issue, but I think you have bigger issues. You should be able
    to get full rpms with the powervalves disconnected and rotated open manually.

+1
    Your PV motor is bad. Change it. And opening the valves by hand should have gotten you to your max RPM, so you've got something else wrong too.

XLTNoob
    Pop off the head, and post some pics of the top of the pistons.

I think I am going to go ahead and pull the carbs and clean them. The ski has been sitting a long while and it may be an issue. It only has about 15 hours on the engine since it was rebuilt and only 43 hours total. I really don't think it is a compression issue. I'll post more as I tear into it to see if I can get down to the problem. Does anyone know what the power valve motor is wired to? Does it go to the CDI or something else?

Well, I went ahead and cleaned the carbs out. They had some corrosion in them and they were a little dirty. The little filters in the carbs were about half full of what looked like carmalized sugar. The jet side of all the carbs were clean for the most part. I also went a bought a new fuel filter. I sprayed out all the electrical connectors on the side of the electrical box with contact cleaner and put dielectric grease on all of them. Did the same for the power valve connector. Put it in the water today and it took off like a raped ape just like it should. Looks like all my problems are solved.

+1

so did have to get new power valve motor?? how fast is it now

so were the carbs the whole issue??? and how fast does the tach on the ski say now that its running like a raped ape????lololo

+1
    put up a wtb thing in the classifieds. they go for about 100, a used working one. i just replaced mine and it made a world of difference. my motor woulnt turn clockwise, so when it cycled it would just go to full open and stay there. my ski ran fine up top but sucked down low. now it just cavitates is ass off

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    put up a wtb thing in the classifieds. they go for about 100, a used working one. i just replaced mine and it made a world of difference. my motor woulnt turn clockwise, so when it cycled it would just go to full open and stay there. my ski ran fine up top but sucked down low. now it just cavitates is ass off
    Check your prop Clearance and black sounds like your power valve motor is on it's last leg!

Thread Information