96 xp starts but dies

I have a 96 xp that starts right up but when I rev it pretty high out of the water it dies like I pulled the key not like its running out of gas like you hit the stop button I have not put it in the water since this started happening it has new fuel lines and selector clean carbs any ideas
    thanks Les

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    did you clean out the carb screens?

I took the carbs off today to have a look inside and everything was clean put the carbs back on it was still doing the same thing but after a few times of starting it I was able to rev it a few hours later I started it up and it was doing the same thing again I really think its something electrical im going to try to disconnect the red wire from the rectifire tomorrow to see if its that if not maybe stator I dont know .all the connections are clean in the rear electrical box any ideas are appricated
    thanks Les

+1
    That is typical of fuel starvation ... possibly clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, debris in the fuel tank, etc.

Your on the right track to check the R/R Module in the way you mentioned.

Otherwise, your dealing with a Fuel delivery or metering problem.

---DvD

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It may be your rectifier. Pull the thick red wire off of it, in your front gray box, reinstall, and start. If it runs perfectly, it is bad.

Ok I took it out today I disconnected the red wire on the rectifire while it was on the trailer it seemed to be good it reved real good .when I put it in the water it seems to be running on one cylinder because one plug is wet and the other is dry with a nice coffee color .so I switched the plug to elimated a bad plug and it and it did the same thing then I switched the plugs wires and the problem went to the other cylinder so what can cause the one plug wire to not fire? coil what else ? I did trim the plug wires back about an inch. I turned the ski over while it was in the lake and checked for spark in both cylinders and only had it in one .I got home checked for spark again and I got spark in both cylinder .its reving good out of the water now .I checked the compression and its 145 on both cylinders this really has me puzzled now WTF

problem found I swaped carbs from my other xp and it runs great .so do you think maybe its the needle and seats in the carbs that could be bad causing it to dump fuel in the cylinder ? or should I use another set of carbs all together since they are clean inside ?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You could have a bad mica check valve inside the fuel pump block. Or a needle and seat is leaking.

If your carb or aluminum selector is scratched or peeled, Aluminum Oxide may have entered the fuel circulatory. ie: bafel,lines, selector,carbs,separator. That being positively charged can attract oil mineral sludge that is negativly charged (oil from pulse seeps into circulatory) into a clump-like liquid steel. It likes to bite into the pulse nipple fitting and clog there. I advise dabbing white litheum grease on with a small paint brush. This is a well known documented fact from Mikuni! Bills86e

When ski is not being used, You will find mineral sludge will clump & drop to fuel bafel bottom. I have found many skis with closed filter/screens with this goo, that prevented fuel entry from tank into the circulatory system. This makes it even harder for the fuel pump to drink, then feed two thirsty Seadoo carbs. Bills86e

Thread Information