carb kits -did I mess up?

Throttle was stuck on my 99 xlt - pulled the carbs to fix and decided to go ahead and rebuild carbs b/c there was some corrosion - more than should have been there.

After reading and reading over and over "ONLY BUY MIKUNI KITS" - I went online to order my mikuni kits. We'd ordered a couple of things from Watercraft superstore and had fast shipping and decent prices. So, I thought I was being very careful to buy Mikuni kits - got the kits in, installed them last weekend and didn't think much about it.

We've also been working on our 97 waveventure in replacing the starter - we decided to go ahead and pull the carbs while we had exhaust off - so I went to order kits for it - That is when it hit me - the kits I bought looked different from one I ran across that obviously had Mikuni on the packaging. I went and pulled the packaging from the trash and the packaging had SBT all over it. I have emailed Watercraft store but have not gotten a response.

Does anyone know what SBT is selling? Is there any chance that I purchased Mikuni brand parts? And, if they aren't Mikuni, what should I do - should I trash that $150 and redo it?

I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I am realizing that all three kits were shorted a rubber gasket - the one that goes on top of the part that houses the check valve was there and the the clear plastic piece, then there seems there is supposed to be another rubber gasket - the 2nd one is not there.

What should I do?

+1
    Sorry to say you did not you got aftermarket SBT kits

They may not be as good, but I wouldn't panic. If you put everything back together already I would leave it be and just rebuild them a little sooner than normal. Especailly if your waverunner is running well.

I think you have a valid complaint with SBTs website. They label the rebuild kits as "Mikuni" replacements with no mention that they are an aftermarket brand.

I was afraid of this, but was hoping for a different answer.

So - the kits were all missing one of the 2 rubber gaskets - it is the #1 gasket shown on this Mikuni expanded picture - they sandwich the clear plastic gasket - I am assuming this is a problem, right, if I only have 1 instead of the 2?

+1
    That picture is not the proper kit for your ski, that one is for SBN carbs you have SBN-I on the 99 XLT. Get the correct kit as the check valves are smaller in this kit and will cause you problems. The correct Mikuni KIt is MK-BN44I-Yam I attached the link with the parts sheet. I do these all the time and I have seen incorrect parts installed before. The first pic shows the size of the I-body check valve the second is the SBN style you want the larger ones or these will crease and fail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 281.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	186704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carb 295.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	186705  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you - picture was one I was just looking at from forum - I think we did get the right kit though. I am going to go back through the carbs though and make sure we put it all together correctly. We did test pop off and all 3 were right on the numbers.

Thread Information