05-05-2010, 06:53 PM #1
More options than a GPRSHO or GPRXP?
I would love to convert one of my skis to a GPRSHO or GPRXP but believe it or not the GPR is fast enough for me in stock form. So the extra $$$$ for those two conversions would not make sense. However I noticed that Addicted and DP. have both done conversions that make more sense to me.
My conversion goals:
1) Better fuel economy
2) More reliable engine (No more 2-smoke)
3) A more unique ski (I know... How immature)
3) 65 to 75 MPH (GPS)
What are my options? Where the heck do I find this poor destroyed FXHO/FX160s? What are the ball park costs?
Thanks guys and galls
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM #2
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM #3
05-05-2010, 08:38 PM #4
or break some new ground and put a stx12f or stx15f motor in it, those will run longer than the fiberglass will last...
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM #5
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM #6
A couple of rules that will help you succeed with whatever you choose.
-If you buy a piece of shit donor ski, then you will have a piece of shit conversion ski. If they abused it, then you are just converting their crap. You will never be happy.
-As was mentioned... do your own work. If you can't do your own work, consider buying a regular ski and just riding it.
-I love the idea of a non-SC GPRXP and think it should be done by someone who wants a great family ski. I imagine without the crappy SC system, that engine would live for hundreds of hours without a hickup. I imagine you could easily get high 100's, low 200hp out of a non-sc ski with some engine work too.
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM #7
I went looking in the local paper for a 155 whatever they were called.
I found a few about $5000ish. But I think the price would have to be WAAAAAAAAAAAAY dirt cheap to make it worth chopping up a good solid 60mph watercraft like a GTI155.
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM #8
Believe it or not about 6 years ago I owned a GTX SC (185hp motor) that was totaled because of a trailer accident. I sold the damn thing and still regret it.
The 185hp motor has a decent S/C set up and if you can get the valves updated they go forever.
05-06-2010, 08:54 AM #9
Even with the SC Rotax and proper maintenance, I can't imagine it not lasting for a long time.
I believe 99% of something being reliable and lasting a long time starts with the rider. The other 1% is split between normal wear and tear and then manufacturers defects.
05-06-2010, 08:57 AM #10
I rode the vigilante with the stock SC for 30 hours or more, on the stock SC at 78-82mph... ceramic washers and all. Super reliable, and a very fun ski. It wasn't super quick but just a great little setup. I truely wish I would have kept it stock and kept the ski. Oh well.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By 08GPR in forum Conversion PWC Performance SkisReplies: 15Last Post: 04-19-2008, 05:22 PM
By boostaholic in forum Conversion PWC Performance SkisReplies: 9Last Post: 01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
By axgrider73 in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
By MikeTrin in forum Open DiscussionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-14-2006, 09:03 AM
By Jrsrxp in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 8Last Post: 05-05-2005, 09:36 PM