Thread: 94 sl 750 Reeds

94 sl 750 Reeds

guys,
    I am going to be working on my 94 sl 750 .
    How do I check my reeds?I would like to boost performance so I can keep up with my wife on the slx 780 .
    Does it require that I replace gaskets or is this something that I should not be concerned with.How else can I boost power???

I am having fuel useage issues and will be taking a look at the piston was.I would like to change out the stock fuel pump and change to a triple.What is a good price for the setup?

I have a
    94 sl750 max 50 mph when gauges are working.
    96 slx 780 max 58 mph awesome machine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Start with the basics

What is the current cylinder compression on both engines?
    All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.

What is the maximum sustained RPM each machine is seeing at full throttle?

On the SL750, what is the condition of the jet pump?
    Impeller blade clearance to the surrounding wear ring?
    Any dings or damage to the impeller blades, or the stator vanes?

I presume those speed numbers were observed using the MFD display, not a GPS unit.

Any aftermarket items on either machine?

Your 1996 SLX 780 would have (if memory serves) the extended ride plate, extended jet pump, and of course the stronger 780 engine.

Sometimes the best option is to sell the running SL 750, and together with the money you were going to use for upgrades, shop for a newer model Polaris PWC with a bigger engine.

1997 was the last model year for the blue Fuji engines. The red 'domestic' engines began to appear in 1996, and by 1998 even the two cylinder 700cc red engines had similar power to the 780 Fuji engine.

Of course, you would be buying someone else's used PWC, so you have some risk of it having or developing problems.

That said, the Polaris PWC with the three cylinder red engines are strong and generally quite fast. 900cc, 1050cc, and the '1200' engines.

The newer models often come stock with better jet pump and hull designs.

What is the current cylinder compression on both engines?
    All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.Haven't checked this yet
    What should it be ????

What is the maximum sustained RPM each machine is seeing at full throttle?the 750 runs at approx 5500-6200 max
    I don't ride the 780 that much but i believe its lower

On the SL750, what is the condition of the jet pump?Looks OK No visible damage
    Impeller blade clearance to the surrounding wear ring?
    Any dings or damage to the impeller blades, or the stator vanes?

I presume those speed numbers were observed using the MFD display, not a GPS unit.Yes this speed was by the MFD's

Any aftermarket items on either machine?I don't think so May have different mufflers but I dont know for sure

Your 1996 SLX 780 would have (if memory serves) the extended ride plate, extended jet pump, and of course the stronger 780 engine.I belive it does.

+1
    120-125 psi is great. 100 is low(but you can run it) and 85-100 in very near rebuild time.. no more that 5% difference between cylinders is ok.

I have the same machine. The 750 should get to about 6250, maybe 6300 if tuned perfect. never had it any higher.. Others may have different numbers, Thats what mine were. My comp numbers are 120 135 125, not sure why the middle is higher..but it runs good.

did you check the impellor clearence in between the wear ring and the impellor?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skmpmm2002 View Post
    guys,
    I am going to be working on my 94 sl 750 .
    How do I check my reeds?I would like to boost performance so I can keep up with my wife on the slx 780 .
    Does it require that I replace gaskets or is this something that I should not be concerned with.How else can I boost power???

I am having fuel useage issues and will be taking a look at the piston was.I would like to change out the stock fuel pump and change to a triple.What is a good price for the setup?

I have a
    94 sl750 max 50 mph when gauges are working.
    96 slx 780 max 58 mph awesome machine.
    You'll never keep up with a 780.

750=80 HP
    780=92 HP

Reeds will help, and yes you need new gaskets. Might as well install reed spacers while you're in that far. Go ahead and thoroughly clean/inspect the carbs since they have to come off.

If you want more speed without engine mods, look into the extended jet pump like the SLX has.

You can also install a free flowing Flame arrestor for a little better top end. (will need to adjust the high speed adj screws)

I know where there is a 95 slx 780 is that has a blown motor and the body is in bad shape .Should i pick it up and try changing to the extended jet pump assem.

What about the carbs will the keihin carbs from the 780 fit on the 750 that has the mikuni ?
    Do they bolt up the same?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skmpmm2002 View Post
    I know where there is a 95 slx 780 is that has a blown motor and the body is in bad shape .Should i pick it up and try changing to the extended jet pump assem.

What about the carbs will the keihin carbs from the 780 fit on the 750 that has the mikuni ?
    Do they bolt up the same?
    If you can get the extended jet pump from the blown SLX 780 for a good price do it.

See if you can get everything.

1. Extened steering cable (although an extension can be made for your existing cable)
    2. Extended trim rod
    3. Long driveshaft
    4. Long ride plate
    5. The whole jet pump assembly including the water tube and the long bolts.

You will only need a couple parts from the pump assembly, but having spare parts isn't a bad thing.

You're confused about something as far as the carbs. If it's an SLX 780, it also uses the Mikunbi SBN 38mm carbs. (same as your 750, just SLIGHTLY modified)

Now if you're talking about a SLX 1200, those used Keihin carbs.

Which one is it?

the carbs are both mikuni's i did some research last night .

So the 780 carb should fit on the 750?
    do i need to modify anything do change it out????

I really appriciate all of the help you all give .

thanks

+1
    They'll fit right on, but they have the throttle cable on the opposite side. (different side of intake manifold, so the throttle cable is longer).

It's already set up for a triple outlet fuel pump, and has the restrictor built into them. (no external restrictor needed)

For this one, I'd get the High Output fuel pump, throttle cable, carbs, intake manifold, reed spacers, and Flame Arrestors from the SLX.

Thread Information