96 gsx starting issues?

First off I wanted to say thanks to every one on green hulk for all the help you guys give everyone!

So my 96 gsx, started having issues turning over last seaon toward fall, it had always been real touchy, and if you played around with the key it would power up the gauges and some times turn it over, and sometimes no big deal! it always has seemed to drain the battery, and while looking at some picture of the rear electrical box and also wiring diagrams, i noticed that my big red battery wires on the solienoid were in reverse from the info I was getting, does any one know of any starting issues with this year ski, or why its so touchy? could it be my keys getting worn out? and can I just replace the key?

Thanks Jeff

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

DESS issues

You gotta clean the post and the inside of the key really well. I'd use a green scrubbe pad first..the very fine sandpaper on the post to clear off any oxidation.

Only a dealer or a shop with a handheld DESS programmer can code a new key for this ski.

I believe the 96 GSX can only use a Seadoo brand lanyard, not a third party replacement. Only a couple of bucks more, and likely worth it, as I've seen somplaints ont he quality of the 3p lanyards ( I've never had a problem with them btw). That will only be an iusse if you don't go to a dealer to get a new key made.

Cable position on the soleniod is of no consequnce.

Thanks for the info! any idea why the battery keeps draining? im thinkind about adding a battery disconnect, and a odessy battery! its aggravating, and if i added a battery disconnect, shpuld I add it on positive or negative side? Thanks Jeff

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

battery drains

you could have some fault in the regulator draining it, but DESS equipped seadoos do draw power all the time..the mpem is watching the key post for an insertion event. The o-battery instructions mention that. If you have a high quality digital voltmeter, you can measure the draw..it should be quite minimal..like 1 or two watts tops. Your issue may be the battery isn't being charged when the engine is running..check battery voltage when running..should be 13v+

would you recommend the battery disconnect? thanks!

Thread Information