Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Solas or Skat Trak

I have found skat trak impellers a lot cheaper than the solas impellers, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is much of a difference between the 2 on a R-12X or even with the F-12X? I believe the solas is a 17/29 and skat trak uses a 17/28. Is there much of a differance in them, also what do those pitch numbers mean?

+1
    I've got an 05 R-12x and love the Solas 17/29 I put on it. They say the Skat is a little slower on top...

I also cut out intake bars two and four, I don't have any cavitation coming off the line... I now can truly feel the turbo spool... Mid range made a big difference especially coming out of turns. I've only got 30 minutes ride time, but I could tell a difference.

I say stay with the Solas.

Try parkeryamaha.com or atlanticjetsports.com, I bought mine from atlanticjetsports. These two have about the best prices.

Dose anyone have pics of the bars you cut out? If so can you post them ?dose it still handle ok ?

+1
    Ahh heck, I can't find my pics, the handling wasn't affected. It hooks up more and didn't feel unsafe, I can't vouch for GPR speeds though! The honda grate has five bars. You basically cut the inner two out. Leaving 1, 3, and 5.

Here is a picture of the modded intake grate

I wanna do mine, but im not sure if it will do anything for a stock R-12X

+1
    guy name Hambone in texas runs with skat and says you'll be quicker off the line and out of turns. I have the solas and the skat. Love the solas and will let you know about the skat when i put in one in a few weeks. I ride mostly in chop.

cigar said the inner two and the pics have the end two what to do ? I have a stock f12x i hear it helps hook up too

+1
    Laz, that's my intake grate! I was too lazy to find the pic last night.

Like I said, I haven't noticed any ill effects from it, I don't know if the solas or removing the two bars helped out the most... but I'm happy where I am now.

My buddy helped me get mine cleaned up, we used a sawzall to cut the bars out using a bench vice and came back with a few flap wheels on a 4" grinder to clean it up

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Ahh heck, I can't find my pics, the handling wasn't affected. It hooks up more and didn't feel unsafe, I can't vouch for GPR speeds though! The honda grate has five bars. You basically cut the inner two out. Leaving 1, 3, and 5.

you said leave 1'3'5 and in the pic you cut out 1'5 so 1'5 is rite?

Quote Originally Posted by garner View Post
    you said leave 1'3'5 and in the pic you cut out 1'5 so 1'5 is rite?
    2 and 4 are cut in the picture, there is supposed to be a bar on both sides of the middle bar and inside of the outer 2 full bars. I'm wondering if anyone has tried cutting the 1,3,&5 bars out? If anyone has experience with this please chime in, eighths 1,3,&5 cut out it leaves the openings to be the exact same size between all bars and the Hull.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information