Cool can the valve stick open

I have a gp1200r that just went flat on power. no noise, clatter, scraping sounds or anything just no power. I checked the compression at lunch and if the gauge was right it was reading 75 to 80 on the front two and 0 on the back. when turning it over air was coming out the back cylinder when checking the front. a bud thats more of a mechanic than me said a valve was stuck open. any ideas?????

this motor was strong and ran great but when it all happened the middle plug went bad. when we changed it it had been hit and was closed. the cylinder slammed it I suppose when and if the back cylinder valve stuck open... if thats possible.

anyone? or does this even make sense, lol

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterspout View Post
    I have a gp1200r that just went flat on power. no noise, clatter, scraping sounds or anything just no power. I checked the compression at lunch and if the gauge was right it was reading 75 to 80 on the front two and 0 on the back. when turning it over air was coming out the back cylinder when checking the front. a bud thats more of a mechanic than me said a valve was stuck open. any ideas?????

this motor was strong and ran great but when it all happened the middle plug went bad. when we changed it it had been hit and was closed. the cylinder slammed it I suppose when and if the back cylinder valve stuck open... if thats possible.

check rear cylinder even if the power valve is stuck it will not cause 0 compression.

thats what has got me thrown. the cylinder is coming up and down so it seems there's a blow by. can't see any scares. guess it's time to pull it apart and look.

the Ring?

thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterspout View Post

If a plug was "closed" ....you likely need a crank..or have had something in the cylinder smash it shut. It's certainly going to need to come completely apart!

M

XLTNoob
    I think his mechanic buddy was thinking his ski is a four stroke. A Intake/exaust valve on a four stroke engine would definately drop compression to zero.

Regardless, Mpeavler is right. you've got bigger problems

I am going to give you the benafit of the doubt and say your compression tester is bad and you are only low in one cyl. Best case bad piston clean up the cyl with acid and a quick diamond hone. Worst case crank problem took out the rear walked on u and scuffed one and two. Ouch! Time to take off the head.

Thread Information