1994 SLT750 engine questions

Hi guys,

I posted this note on PWCtoday and one of the guys said I would have better luck with it here, so I am reposting it on the hulk.

Hi folks,

I hope I can get some advice. I picked up a 1994 SLT 750. First, not being familiar with Polaris too much what was the difference from the SL750 and SLT750?
    Mine has reverse lever, but no power trim.

Anyway, I got it priced pretty right, so I don't think I can go too wrong. I thought it would make an OK sled for my wife, who is a very casual rider.
    I prefer standups. This guy's wife was riding it and it just "died" on them. So he took it to a shop and they diagnosed PTO cylinder rod was broken.
    They pulled the jug off and the large end was in pieces. Took a small chip off the piston, the very bottom of the sleeve.

It obviously had been detonating. The top of the piston was a spattered mess and bits of aluminum were sprayed on the surface of the combustion chamber.
    So I'm assuming it had leaned out. I read that one of the carbs on these got low of fuel. I don't think this looks stock, but the P.O. (or his mechanic; he claimed to know
    absolutely nothing about it) had put a "Tee" from the output of the single fuel pump. That "Tee" lead to two lines. Each one of those lines went to another "Tee" between
    the fuel lines of each carb, i.e. between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. So it would look to me like it would be pretty hard with this setup to have an uneven fuel flow.

I will need a new piston/rod at the min. The cylinder wall actually looks pretty good, but I have my doubts of course, after what it was through. They took off the other two heads and those looked very nice. I quickly slapped the heads back on and got a nice steady 125 and 127 on the other two cylinders.

Is this good enough for this motor?

The upper case has a small crack where the rod it it. It does not look like it would be hard to weld up. It does not look like a high stress area, but you tell me if I'm wrong.
    I have used those little special alloy aluminum rods to make repairs such as this with good success, but I don't know.

So I know I will need to replace the large crank pin as it is messed from the rod, and the two (thrust bearing shims?) that go on each side of the large bearing.
    I did not see those online in the SBT store, only the small roller bearing for the piston end. I really wanted to keep this on the cheapo, since it is for my wife, ha ha.
    So I wished I would not have to spend the $245 for SBT's rebuilt crank, but I don't know where else to get those parts offhand. Since I also need at least a piston and a possible jug as well.

Strangely, a local guy on C/L has a 1995 engine that he pulled out of a sled that I can probably get for around $150. He said it was running when he pulled it, but it had a loud bearing noise, so it would need at least one bearing or possible more as well. He thinks the compression was good on all cylinders, so I'm thinking of just swapping one of those entire piston/rod/jug onto mine, and probably using his upper crankcase to eliminate the crack concern.

So I thought this seemed like the cheapest way to go. I know cheap is cheap, but my wife rides very little, and I'm hoping with her moderate speeds I can get her a few nice seasons out of this. She won't ride anything of mine.

Is it likely that if this guy's engine has one bad bearing that they're all shot? Or is it probably only the PTO end that commonly blows on these, like mine did? So maybe I can use one of the other bearings on the crank from his and mix and match. I'm assuming they are all the same, front to rear, but have not looked that up yet.

A full gasket set looks like another $100 bucks so I'm getting away from my lowball on this with just the minimal repairs.

The rest of the sled is in real pretty shape. The only thing they trashed was the MFD, which was taped over. Those look to be $100-150 used, but I assume since he was running without it, I can as well. She uses it so little, that I can easily check fuel level in between runs.

I'm planning on dumping the oil pump and pre-mixing it anyway, so the oil level sensor won't be of use to me.

What does anyone think? Am I being way to cheap for her, or can I make it work? I've admittingly done worse things in my life.

I also have a second question about the MFD pinout. Is it a bunch of separate (it's 8-wire) signals that I could just use the hole in the dash to at least put in a standard gas gauge or speedo? And just use one of the set of wires? Or are they multiplexed, etc? I have no wiring diagrams yet.

Thanks again, J.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the Hulk John

SLT is a 3 seat model, SL is a two person model.
    SLT has a longer hull, longer seat, and reverse.

The Polaris crank shafts are a press fit design. It requires a large hydraulic press and specialized knowledge to rebuild the crank.

If you are having the crank rebuilt, it doesn't make much sense to leave two crank bearing old sections in place, since all the bearings are likely to have similar wear and stress. The remaining rod bearings are probably nearing the end of their life too.

So you are looking at rebuilding that crank, or buying a good crank.

You would need to do a thorough inspection of that 'noisy' crank to determine if it was salvageable with just replacing the end bearings, or if it also needs a full rebuild.

The MFD connections are standard only for the fuel and oil lever senders;
    33 ohms = full tank
    240 ohms = empty tank

The RPM feed on the Yellow wire is Polaris specific. It carries a 12 volt DC bias with an AC RPM signal.
    100Hz = 1000RPM

The Polaris oil pumps tend to be reliable. Just change the oil and fuel hoses, new filters, and make sure all the clamps are in good condition.

Click below for more good info

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Could you please summerize your questions? Way too long of a post.

Thread Information