Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

making 96 sl780 faster.. cheapest first!

Ok, there has been some mention of my plans on another thread... but I thought it would be better in it's own thread. Ok, first, everything as far as I know is stock... I am definatly getting first the pro 785 CDI box... next... I am unsure.. I know I want to re-build the pistons etc... but I am unsure if I am capable of the task and I have no clue what a pro would charge.... what is the difficulty of simply buying a top end kit and removing old and replace with the new? Is there better out there... what about the heads and pistons etc from a higher performance machine.. like say a pro 1200.. would they be a direct fit? Any input on the subject? Also, my carbs seem fine.. it starts every time... what do you guys think about that? I was looking at getting an ocean pro set of carbs from the same year slx 780... difficulty to swap out? performance gains from this?

What about the empeller...?

Basically, I'm open for all performance gains posted to this thread... I'm looking to go cheap first, then gradually to more expensive... obviously the pro 785 CDI will be a big difference... then... what?

Fire away!

Thanks,
    Jared

+1
    Flame arrestors
    Primer Kit
    Pre-Mix
    92 Octane Domes
    R&D short wing intake grate
    5 or 6 degree wedge
    AAT

Depending on where you stop along the way, it will require jetting and an impeller change would be beneficial to the package.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    No direct fit you can only go back wards say 750, 650. Aftermarket replacement reeds for cheap or replace the entire reed cages expensive both are worth it. I maybe odd but I like my oil injection, cause I'm lazy. You already have the same carbs it's the air cleaners that you want. A rebuild wouldn't hurt but might not be necessary. I think you said it is a SL780 in which cause you can make gains with out touching the engine. You'll want to go with an extended pump set and longer ride plate as well. It will plane better and faster. Replacing you cast piece of junk pump stator with the six vein skat-trak unit is a must also, good for about 1.5 MPH on top and crazy hook up.

Ok, that's over my head... first off,

What is flame arrestors?
    Primer kit?
    My oil pump is working great.. do they dose too much or something? I run out gas too much in mixed intervals, I am used to just stopping at the marina and filling up, I would be nervous at mixing oil and gas myself unless I knew the exact amount of gas I had which would be impossible...

92 octane domes?
    R&D shortwing...? What about the oceanpro carbs set... are they a direct replacement... they look to have a much better intake then my stock rectangular one.. second, would they be a direct fit? (originally from a 96 slx 780.. going onto my 96 sl780)

5 or 6 degree wedge?

AAT?

Remember, this is my first jet ski... I know little about an engine like this, and medium about mechanics in generall... I installed and tuned my own car with a supercharger... but there is still alot I do not know expecially about these types of engines...

Elaboration would be greatly appreciated!

Jared

I was looking at this carb set... comes with fuel pump and everything...

http://cgi.ebay.com/polaris-sl-slt-s...em300028616123

Now watch somebody else get it ...

What benefit would it have for me and my sl780...

also confused about a few more things on the most recent post..

extended pump? what is and where to get?

Longer ride plate? elaboration needed...

where is the pump stator.. if it's inside the engine I feel it may be too far out of my league.. I'm looking first at easy replacements or harder ones that I still think I can acomplish, but easy to reach...like piston rebuild looks pretty simple and there is alot of space to access what I would need to...

Jared

An extended ride plate like that from the 780 slx?

polaris nut #1 I like what you are saying about not even having to touch the engine.. can you please elaborate on where would I get some of these things you say will make it better, like the extended pump etc... and installation I assume is a breeze since it doesn't involve the engine...

something like this all in one what I need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/polar...QQcmdZViewItem

Jared
    Last edited by jcc011185; 09-19-2006 at 10:33 PM.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Flame arrestors replace your stock air box(filter) Good for some rpm's on top.

Extended pump helps getting the power to the water, but you may already have it. Does your pump section have 3 or 4 sections?

Shortwing grate is a scoop grate to keep your pump from unloading in chopy water, alowing you to maintain speed at the cost of glass water speed.

An AAT or adjust a thrust is the closest thing to a transmission that we will likely see with our pwc's. Check out www.wetwolf.com for details. It's quick, easy, relatively cheap, bruce is a great guy, and best of all, it works!

The stator is the section of the pump that the prop bearings are in. Stock is aluminum with 5 veins. These straighten the flow of water increasing efficiency.

A primer replaces your choke with a small pump that squirts raw fuel down the carb throats. By removing the chokes you get better airflow for more rpm's. It also makes cold starts nearly instant. Do it!

My fingers are tired now, but i hope that helps. sorry if i oversimplified things for ya.

Where are you located? maybe someone from here is local and can help you?

-Mike

I looked into flame arrestors... they look awefully similar to what I currently have... These are what I looked at: http://www.ad-discountperformance.co...ath=11_112_269

... and this is what I currently have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...QQcmdZViewItem

Do I really need these? What about if I just got an ocean pro set off a used slx780? Would the benefit be noticeable?

As for the pump, I don't know if I have it or not.. as I don't know what "sections" you mean.. but I have attached 3 pictures I just took of my pump assembly, perhaps you guys can tell me if I have the extended pump so I can mark this off my list... I have a 96 sl780 by the way..

Found the shortwing grate: http://www.ad-discountperformance.co...oducts_id=1538 Gheesh is this the cheapest out there? it will help to keep the ski planted in choppy water correct?

I looked at the AAT through the website provided... I'm confused how does it work again, and the benefits? Also, which one would I need for my model?

I looked everywhere but could not find the 6 vein stator... suggestions?

would this primer kit be what I should be looking at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARBU...QQcmdZViewItem

are there any particular kits I should look at?

Also, if I were to look into replacing the empellor.. what size should I look at getting? I would prefer getting a used one off another higher performance craft, or a used one in general as I know that they can be expensive... suggestions?

My very first thing will be the 785 pro CDI box... then on from there... what do you guys suggest next that would make the greatest difference?

also what does 5-6 degree wedge mean? and regarding the slx780 carbs...are they a direct fit with the 780? what is the difference between the two anyway...? I see that the slx carbs have the ocean pro intakes is all... and the ride plate.. recommendations?

Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2404.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	8420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2405.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	8421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2406.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	8422  
    Last edited by jcc011185; 09-20-2006 at 02:08 AM.

The Ocean pro F/A's are seperated per carb and have a venturi built in to the top. I can't tell on your Pump but here is a discription of the one listed on e-bay. It includes the extended pump set up, the R&D intake, Extended ride plate and wedge. Check Skat Trak's website for the 6 vien Stainless Stator ($$$) or keep looking on e-bay and classifieds. Keep in mind were competing for one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    The flame arrestor you have is fine for now.

The primer kit you selected is close, but you need one for a tripple carb pwc that has the fittings for mikuni carbs.

The grate selected is correct, but the price seems a little high. It pays to shop around with all this stuff.

Swapping carbs is not going to help anything. They are all the same. Now rebuilding them, that's another story.

Looking at the pics provided you have the short pump.

As far as the AAT, it's kind of like sticking you finger in the end of a running hose. Low speed it retracts, alowing more volume of water to pass through the pump, boosting the low speed acceleration. The faster you go, the more it extends, effectively reducing the size of the pump outlet, raising velocity, and top speed. It replaces the big plastic cone you see in the back of the pump.

You can do without the 6 vein stator for now, but if the one you have is all chewed up behind the prop, then it should be replaced.

Same with the impeller. If it's chewed up and teh clearance is no good, replace it. If not that can wait. You need the power to turn another prop first.

A wedge is like permanent trim. It angles the water jet up even if the trim is set at neutral. This gets the front out of the water, meaning less drag and more speed.

I would suggest trying to win that extended pump set up on ebay with the grate and ride plate. Make sure it comes with, or you can locate, a longer trim rod and steering cable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information