Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My RXP just sunk , now what?

So I was at 8k rmps and then out of no where my rxp died and would not restart the rear started to sink and the tide was pulling me out of the raritian river and into the bay. I decided to bail and swim for shore after 3 hours I was able to get the local pd to pull her out I'm sitting in a parking lot I hit it with somfresh water pulled plugs shot the water out put the plugs back in fired it up and it ran but died as I gave it gas. So now what should I do?

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    that sucks..please never let me sink...sounds like you may have ..lost the carbon ring...

i would change all the fluids.. dissconnect all the intake track ect..get all the water out of everything...dissconnect all electrical connections..and blow out and re dielectric grease them..then check compression...and see where you are at..if the compression is good you may have gotten lucky ..

what i wouldnt have done is tried to start it..without getting the water out...you may have sucked water into the engine...

but i will say dont wait ..the water is sitting in there eating at everything..you dont want it to pit the cylinder walls ect...

I wasn't sure if I should start it or not but I took a chance I'm not sure what a carbon ring is but I did notice that when I did start it the hull fill with exhaust.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by robby212 View Post
    So I was at 8k rmps and then out of no where my rxp died and would not restart the rear started to sink and the tide was pulling me out of the raritian river and into the bay. I decided to bail and swim for shore after 3 hours I was able to get the local pd to pull her out I'm sitting in a parking lot I hit it with somfresh water pulled plugs shot the water out put the plugs back in fired it up and it ran but died as I gave it gas. So now what should I do?
    sorry to hear bro,
    If the rear of the ski was submerged for 3 hours i can asure you that you have water in your motor.
    I bet your oil is completely full.
    You need to get the water out of motor ASAP especially if it was salt water.
    When mine sunk i removed all parts for inspection and drying. Exhuast jpipe, sc intake, intercooler - plumbing, and intake manifold. Better to be safe then sorry. It took about 6 oil changes with the cheap oil before i was happy. changed it 5 times, took it out and then changed it again.
    Is a pain in the Axx to get all the water out.

yeah I guess I'll be tearing it down this weekend. Id just love to know why the rear took on water like that.

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by robby212 View Post
    yeah I guess I'll be tearing it down this weekend. Id just love to know why the rear took on water like that.
    Just wondering, would a 500 gpm bilge be able to keep up with a blown carbon seal?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peebee View Post
    Just wondering, would a 500 gpm bilge be able to keep up with a blown carbon seal?
    Not above idle speed it wouldn't... no where close

Quote Originally Posted by peebee View Post
    Sorry about your sinking... that sucks! Also sounds like it could have been dangerous! Glad you're safe!!!

From my reading on bearing carrier failures (pretty much same result as a carbon ring failure) you will need more than a 500 GPH BP.

I just installed a 1100 to go with my 500. I'd really like to have two 1100's, but I got what I got. 1100's are an inch outlet where as the 500's are 1/2" outlet... imagine that! so that's a lot of extra hoses going out of the hull...

Anyways... I think the answer to your question is no. Unless the carbon seal wasn't 100% failed.

ya know it went down pretty fast but 500gph is a lot, to be honest I'm not sure if it woulda kept me up

Banned User
    my 750 kept up with a blow carbon seal, i noticed the ski wasnt handling right and pulled the seat and it was bout 3 or 4 inches of water in the ski turned on pump and jumped off tied up the tow rope and got a tow for about 1 mile to the dock, ski only had about 1 to 2 inches in it when we got to the dock.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information