+1

Installing exhaust hoses on pro785

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get the front collector put back in with the 3 exhaust hoses on???
    I put the 3 hoses on the front collector and got it almost in place, but I can't pull it back hard enough to get the 3 hoses to slip on the exhaust pipes,

standing by,

The easiest way I found is to take the head and exhaust pipes out. Install the collector with the hoses then, one by one install the exhaust pipes then head pipes. Unfortunately this way you need to have the gas tank out. Its alot easier than trying to manipulate the three hoses at the same time to re-install the collector only.

+1
    The cylinder head must come off? Or just undo the head pipes?
    Once I remove all of the head pipe bolts # 41-46-44 and the bolts up front # 29 and 32, the exhaust pipes should slide back?
    EXHAUST SYSTEM

+1
    Is there enough room to maybe disconnect the collector from the long exit hose on the outlet side, undo the straps on the collector and kind of roll the collector in? Then deal with the big hose by moving the waterbox back?

Also, Windex works good for helping the couplers slide on easier.

+1
    I had to take the collector completly out to get the 3 new hoses on,
    I put the front clamps on, because once the collector is in you can't reach that one way up front, I have the collector in all the way and one hose on, but I can't grip the collector or the hose very well to get it to slide back into place to get that real short hose on,
    I was hoping not to have to take the exhaust off of the motor,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Is there enough room to maybe disconnect the collector from the long exit hose on the outlet side, undo the straps on the collector and kind of roll the collector in? Then deal with the big hose by moving the waterbox back?

Also, Windex works good for helping the couplers slide on easier.

That's basically what I did, the large exit hose is flexable so there's no need to move water box.. I used water with a good dose of dish washing soap to help slide the hoses onto the collector.

+1

Nice!!! I think he can get it without taking the exhaust off. A nice slippery concoction will help with sliding those couplers on for sure.

From Factory Pipe....

Pipe Couplers

Many high performance exhaust pipes use high temperature, silicone couplers to connect the pieces of the system together. These couplers not only provide a way to join the pipe but also act as shock absorbers to dampen the high vibrations of a two stroke engine. The key to keeping these couplers in good working order is following a few simple steps:

1. Thoroughly clean all the areas of the pipe that the coupler will come in contact with as well as the inside of the coupler itself.

2. Use only water or a Windex type spray to aid in the installation of the coupler. Never use WD40 or any oil based lubricant as these will cause the coupler to come apart during use.

3. Make sure that the connecting pieces inside the coupler are touching completely around with no gaps. Otherwise, very hot exhaust gas will be forced directly against the coupler and cause it to melt.

4. Do not over tighten the coupler clamps. This will cause the clamp to dig into the coupler material and split. A properly installed coupler will only require the clamps to be hand tight with a nut driver.

Thread Information