Thread: Help please

Help please

I just bought a 2002 polaris virage i. First off when i press the starter button sometimes all it does is make a click noise if i push a few times it will work fine and start. Also when it is running I'll start going and the ski will start to spit and sputter then die on me it did this repeatedly until i ran the battery dead trieing to start it any one have any ideas? Also can i use fuel injector cleaner in it not very knoledgeable about two strokes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Welcome to the Hulk Jamey

I would suspect the start solenoid has failed. If it is the original black bodied solenoid, replace it with the newer design, which has a light brown body color.

Also, remove and clean both ends of both heavy battery cables. Make sure the engine block end of the negative cable is a clean metal connection, with no corrosion or dirt.

If the battery is at all suspect, replace it with a new, high quality battery. Polaris PWC really need a strong battery.

Is this Polaris new to you?
    Has it ever run properly for you?

The Ficht fuel injectors on your engine are not like regular automotive injectors. Don't bother using injector cleaner, it will not have the desired effect.

Check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve.
    It should jump to over 20 PSI as soon as the engine starts cranking.

Check the voltage on the White/Red wires (any of them). Do not unplug an injector, find another spot to tap into the White/Red wires. Voltage should jump to over 20 volts as soon as the engine starts cranking, and jump again to 40-45 volts when it starts.

If all of the above are good, and it still doesn't run properly, unplug the TPS. It has a three wire plug, located near the rear end of the throttle body assembly (typically tucked under the rear end flame arrestor cover).

With the TPS unplugged, does it start and idle properly?
    It will NOT respond to throttle with the TPS unplugged. This is just a test.

Stop the engine.
    Check the TPS connector pins for corrosion or moisture.
    Re-connect the TPS.
    Does it start and idle properly?
    Idle RPM should be 1150RPM, in or out of the water.

Click the links below for more information

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Thanx k I'll try those things, yes the ski is new to me and no i've not had it running properly since Iv'e had it.

Thread Information