motor install questions

ok so im about to put my motor in probobly this weekend and had a quick question..what all can i install on it before dropping it in..i would like to keep the exhaust manifold on since i have to put it on to pressure test it, but what about the carbs also?

XLTNoob
    I guess it really depends on how much you want to fight getting it in... I believe you can wedge it in with both the carbs an exhausted manifold installed, but you will have to twist it around to get
    it in.

i might just leave the carbs off then..i was just thinking it would be eaiser to put the carbs on insted of on the motor in the ski

XLTNoob
    I would say that if you have to choose between leaving the carbs or the exhaust header on, I would put the carbs on while the engine is on the bench, then the exhaust when the engine is in the boat. IMO, the carbs are more critical to air leaks, and much higher potential for failure if they are incorrectly installed. The exhaust is pretty much fool proof.

Keep in mind that once you get the engine in the hull, you can hot bolt the starboard engine mounts. Leave the port side unbolted until you get the exhaust bolted in *including U pipe*

makes since this is why i was kinda wanting to put the carbs on outside the ski...i guess ill use my old exhaust gaskets to pressure test then put my new ones on my final install..so i can tighten the right side mounts but need to wait until i get the exhaust put on to tighten the port side

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    I would say that if you have to choose between leaving the carbs or the exhaust header on, I would put the carbs on while the engine is on the bench, then the exhaust when the engine is in the boat. IMO, the carbs are more critical to air leaks, and much higher potential for failure if they are incorrectly installed. The exhaust is pretty much fool proof.

Keep in mind that once you get the engine in the hull, you can hot bolt the starboard engine mounts. Leave the port side unbolted until you get the exhaust bolted in *including U pipe*

XLTNoob
    I just dummy bolt the starboard side in, until I've got the exaust bolted on and the engine placed exactly where I want. In order to bolt the U pipe to the exaust header, you'll need to put a socket or something in between one of the port engine mounts and the engine, propping up that side so you can reach a couple of those bolts.

Thread Information