1999 sltx 1050/2002 Virage txi/2004 Virage I

2004 VirageI Will not stay running

First I want to thank everyone on this form for all the help. I have not had to post in the past I was always was able to find the answers here. So thanks to all.
    Little history on this ski this will be my second summer on it. It seems to be one thing after another with it (fuel regulator, water injector, battery, plugs TPS).Nothing major so far just little things. Always seems to let me down at the boat landing lol.
    Ok here goes two weeks ago getting it all cleaned up and ready for the season. Started it up on the trailer with the hose it started right up no problems.
    This past weekend we decide to take the skis out. The virage I would start and cut off never could get it to idle or run. Due to lack of time, I've been working on it off and on all week. Here is what I know so far.
    If I pour gas into the neck it runs until that gas runs out (so I know its firing)
    Battery is a year old, I charged it and it has 14.4 volts on charge, 10.6 to 11 when cranking (Iíve noticed that when trying to start sometime it pulls down to 10 but after that stroke comes right back up.

It has 22 to 24 psi on the fuel pump valve

Compression is around 160 on both cyl.

Also noted mfd goes through self test at start up

Pulled one of the fuel injectors off and bumped the starter it pumped lots of fuel out.(so I would say its getting fuel

I put a new TPs on it last year nothing was wrong with the old one as far as I know. I just changed at the same time that I repaired the fuel pump regulator. So I took my old TPS and put it back on no difference.

Lost here now, I know it has Fuel and fire. So why wonít it keep running.

Okay here's the latest update pumped out all the gas (less than 6 months old with stabilizer)Put in 12 fresh gallons no change.Starts but won't idle.

Okay done for the day.I just jumped the MFI just to see what would happen.It had no effect.Still starts but wont idle or run.I also went through and cleaned a lot of connection.None of them looked bad but cleaned them anyway.no difference

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Belated welcome

Remove the CPS from the top of the flywheel . Look for any damage or signs of metal debris. Check the ohm resistance of the CPS; should be under 200 ohms (if memory serves).

If the CPS is good, then you need to focus on the EMM.

You can build the diagnostic LED service tool, then read out the service codes. Clear the old codes, run it again, then read out the new codes.

OR you can pull the EMM and send if off to DFI Technologies. If the EMM is in good shape, then the cost is minimal. If it needs repair, then at ;east you will know.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Another possibility (albeit slim) is that the TPS connector or wire harness has a problem. Pull the EMM 40-pin connector (It can be a bear to unscrew the retaining hex bolt). Then check for continuity between the TPS plug harness pins and the matching pins on the 40-pin connector.

Thanks for the help K447.You really don't know how many times you have helped me out already.
    Back at it today and I will check cps.When I bought this ski it had 14 hours on it now has 31.Cryn shame with so low hours but I'm almost sure it's the EMM. If it is the EMM I'm gonna park it for a while and work on the TXI.
    The TXI looks like the one in your signnature. Bought it on a nice single trailer for $500.Good compression and no fire is all I no so far.

Wow hot out side already.
    Okay pulled the CPS out it looks good to me.Stubborn little thing to get out.It had really fine magnet dust on it.I will ohm test later.
    I went ahead and opened the EMM to look for burnt spots.And got a surprise.After looking at pictures of the inside of the EMM.Okay I no the suspense is killing everyone.
    It was hard to get the cover of it was stuck to the gel good.After It came off I noticed that it looks like someone has been here before me theres a Eprom chip and what looks like a diode that are clean and gel free.( no burnt spots either) In all the pictures I've seen of the inside of the EMM gel cover everything.
    If this EMM has been rebuilt by DFI would it come back without the gel covering new components?And if it was rebuilt by them would they have a record of it?Maybe it would be under warranty still. Remember only 31 hours on the ski.
    I no wishfully thinking.Worth a shot.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by muck63 View Post
    ...pulled the CPS out it looks good to me.Stubborn little thing to get out.
    It had really fine magnet dust on it.
    I will ohm test later.

...it looks like someone has been here before me there's a Eprom chip and what looks like a diode that are clean and gel free.( no burnt spots either)

In all the pictures I've seen of the inside of the EMM gel cover everything.

If this EMM has been rebuilt by DFI would it come back without the gel covering new components?

And if it was rebuilt by them would they have a record of it?...
    Magnet dust on the CPS

You may have to remove the flywheel to check for damaged flywheel magnets. The magnets on the original six magnet Ficht flywheels are known to sometimes become unstuck from the flywheel. Once loose, they can shift and cause damage. Also, the electrical output of the stator is affected.

The loose magnets do not directly affect the CPS, which senses the encoder ribs around the outside of the flywheel rim. The dust is more an indication that something else may have been damaged.

You can swap in the CPS from your other Ficht engine - all Ficht CPS are the same. Check the ohms on both

Can you post clear, close-up photos of the un-gelled area in the EMM?

DFI normally re-seals the gel after repair. You can call them and see if they have a record of your EMM. I don't know if they track by EMM serial number.

There may be more than one number on your EMM. Look closely at the metal just above the big EMM connector. Look for laser etched S/N and P/N.

Thread Information