Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too much oil - where did it come from?

I changed the oil on my 2005 RXP 215 SCIC a few weeks ago. I used Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w-40 and took great care to get the level right. Checked the old oil level first, measured the amount removed, put the same back in, adjusted a little. Fully warmed up, idle 30 sec, let it drain 30 sec after shut off and level.

I've been out two days since and today after burning ~13 gal of gas, when I got home, I flushed and checked the oil level. I was shocked to find the oil level was way high. I checked it several times, then hitched it up again drove it around, releveled, and rechecked it. Still high. I got out my oil remover and removed about a quart and the level is still about 60%, if 50% is midway on the stick.

I poured the oil into a clear bottle and it doesn't look like there is any separation like you would expect with water, so that makes me wonder if the extra volume is gas. There isn't a real strong gas smell though.

My other ski (2005 RXT 215 SCIC) came back today with the oil level perfect (50% on stick).

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,
    Jim

+1
    Did you warm up your engine prior to oil change? If so you removed "warm" engine oil, which has expanded and replaced w/the same volume of "cold" oil. I had the same issue on my first oil change. I found out that 1 qt. of cold oil is actually more than a quart of hot oil. That's my 2 cents...

Riding this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Did you warm up your engine prior to oil change? If so you removed "warm" engine oil, which has expanded and replaced w/the same volume of "cold" oil. I had the same issue on my first oil change. I found out that 1 qt. of cold oil is actually more than a quart of hot oil. That's my 2 cents...

Riding this weekend?

I did warm up the engine for three minutes before the oil change and I did put in cold oil, but I warmed it up to check and adjust the level. A quart high seems like a really large difference too, when I only put in about 3 qts. Did you take oil out when it happened to you? Was it so much? This just seems kind of weird. Thanks.

I think today was my only chance for this weekend. My son's graduation party is tomorrow and all the relatives are in. My friend and I put in at the Spunky Monkey this morning around 9:30. We went 17 miles upriver and then back down and into Lake Verret. It was really beautiful. I look forward to another opportunity to get down there.

Are you guys going out (Dumb question. I know the answer )?
    Thanks,
    Jim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RightOnTarget1 View Post
    I did warm up the engine for three minutes before the oil change and I did put in cold oil, but I warmed it up to check and adjust the level. A quart high seems like a really large difference too, when I only put in about 3 qts. Did you take oil out when it happened to you? Was it so much? This just seems kind of weird. Thanks.

I think today was my only chance for this weekend. My son's graduation party is tomorrow and all the relatives are in. My friend and I put in at the Spunky Monkey this morning around 9:30. We went 17 miles upriver and then back down and into Lake Verret. It was really beautiful. I look forward to another opportunity to get down there.

Are you guys going out (Dumb question. I know the answer )?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    A quart diff. does seem like a lot, but yeah, basically you just pump it out the way you removed the old oil for the change. That is until you get it in the middle of the stick. Then just monitor it after the first outing...

Sounds like a nice ride, beautiful day out, today. 17 miles north. You guys were fairly close to By. Pigeon, LA. When you came back down and went into Verret, was that through the Grosbec or Magazile? Did you check out the "new" Gros'? Any Baldies?

A quart diff. does seem like a lot, but yeah, basically you just pump it out the way you removed the old oil for the change. That is until you get it in the middle of the stick. Then just monitor it after the first outing...

Sounds like a nice ride, beautiful day out, today. 17 miles north. You guys were fairly close to By. Pigeon, LA. When you came back down and went into Verret, was that through the Grosbec or Magazile? Did you check out the "new" Gros'? Any Baldies?
    I guess I'll be spending some quality time with a garden hose and a level...

We just retraced our route and then went into Lake Verret at the south end.

We did see two bald eagles. I got some good video and pictures of one. He was getting hassled by some crows.

We ran into a fellow (I couldn't hear clearly. I think he said Comeaux.) and his wife and toddler daughter on a pair of red Kawasaki Ultras that said they were going to Gros, but by that time my friend had to get back so we weren't able to go. I believe they came from a houseboat right across from the Spunky Monkey.

It looked like a really great area.

Thanks,
    Jim

+1
    I guess I'll be spending some quality time with a garden hose and a level...

We just retraced our route and then went into Lake Verret at the south end.

We did see two bald eagles. I got some good video and pictures of one. He was getting hassled by some crows.

We ran into a fellow (I couldn't hear clearly. I think he said Comeaux.) and his wife and toddler daughter on a pair of red Kawasaki Ultras that said they were going to Gros, but by that time my friend had to get back so we weren't able to go. I believe they came from a houseboat right across from the Spunky Monkey.

It looked like a really great area.

Thanks,
    Jim
    That's odd, b/c their is a Campo (not Comeaux) that keeps a houseboat across from the Monkey and he has two green Kawis. (Unless he traded 'em for a new pair). But, you could have met a Comeaux, too... who knows?

Well, sounds like you have expanded your horizon. There is a way from the north end (Grosbec By. - you would have passed by it.) that goes into the Lake, which would have had you completing the circuit: We call it the L. Verret Loop. We'll do it for MB in a few more weeks.

Hopefull we'll make a ride together, but at least for the 'Bug.

[QUOTE=83Gator;1418878]That's odd, b/c their is a Campo (not Comeaux) that keeps a houseboat across from the Monkey and he has two green Kawis. (Unless he traded 'em for a new pair). But, you could have met a Comeaux, too... who knows?

/QUOTE]

It was Campo5474. The sad thing about getting old is that your mind goes. They were a bright florescent green (I was confusing them when I wrote that with a pair of red Yamaha FX SHOs I also saw.).

He had a really cute toddler in his lap that appeared to be having a great time.

Now, I am off to Henderson to get crawfish for my son's party...

Thanks,
    Jim

Same thing happened to me on both of my skis. Changed the oil and went for a ride, and both were showing a quart over the full line. Rode back and pulled out some oil of both. Oil came out of the catch can and got into my hull. That was fun cleaning.

I change the oil on the water now since I know the ski is perfectly level. Haven't had a problem since.

+1
    [QUOTE=RightOnTarget1;1419075]
    That's odd, b/c their is a Campo (not Comeaux) that keeps a houseboat across from the Monkey and he has two green Kawis. (Unless he traded 'em for a new pair). But, you could have met a Comeaux, too... who knows?

/QUOTE]

It was Campo5474. The sad thing about getting old is that your mind goes. They were a bright florescent green (I was confusing them when I wrote that with a pair of red Yamaha FX SHOs I also saw.).

He had a really cute toddler in his lap that appeared to be having a great time.

Now, I am off to Henderson to get crawfish for my son's party...

Thanks,
    Jim
    That's him: Campo5474 (Jason) You just went from being color blind to just having a mild case of CRS Happens to the best of us

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKman View Post
    Same thing happened to me on both of my skis. Changed the oil and went for a ride, and both were showing a quart over the full line. Rode back and pulled out some oil of both. Oil came out of the catch can and got into my hull. That was fun cleaning.

I change the oil on the water now since I know the ski is perfectly level. Haven't had a problem since.
    Oil change in the water will work, as well as the carpenter's level in the driveway... And don't bring up anything to do w/ "cleaning an oil spill...", please...

[QUOTE=83Gator;1419467]

That's him: Campo5474 (Jason) You just went from being color blind to just having a mild case of CRS Happens to the best of us

Oil change in the water will work, as well as the carpenter's level in the driveway... And don't bring up anything to do w/ "cleaning an oil spill...", please...
    CRS? Cranial Rot Syndrome? That would be me...

I don't really have anywhere I can do it on the water, so I'll need to try to level it in the driveway... The one time I tried to check the level on the water, there was enough movement that I couldn't get a consistent level.

Thanks,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information