Problem installing impeller - Need measurement!

I just purchased the 2010 shaft along with the double bearings to install in my pump housing. Got it assembled and went to thread on a spare re-built impeller that I got but the impeller sits too far into the pump housing and jams on the pump housing just as I get it fully threaded. You can see from the first picture that the impeller is threaded in too far. I checked the new 2010 shaft with the old shaft and all is OK. I checked to ensure the bearings & shaft were seated all the way in and it looks OK.
    The only way I can see this happening now is if the bushing/bearings are actually not pushed all the way in or the impeller seat was machined down for some reason. I don't have my original impeller at the moment, so I was hoping someone could tell me the distance between the face of the bushing and the face of the pump housing so I know if the bushing and bearings are pressed all the way in. In the second picture the distance between the face of my bushing and the straight edge I placed along the face of the pump housing is 2.4 mm. Since my impeller threads down 4mm too far I'm thinking that this bushing should actually be sitting 2-3 mm above the pump housing face. Can someone confirm this distance for me??

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8611.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	187023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8610.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	187024  

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I dont have the measurement, but I can give you a hint on seating the bearings,

Put the pump housing in the oven at @ 275* for @ 30 mins and put the bearings in the freezer for the same amout of time, and they practically drop in.................

+1
    im guessing maybe the bearings weren't pressed in far enough or they caught the housing causing it to burr. check the other end to see if your cone fits on that should indicate if the bearings seated properly
    here's all i've got
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 001.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	187041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 002.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	187042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 003.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	187043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 004.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	187044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 005.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	187045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump 006.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	187046  

Yes, I did put the bearings in the freezer before installing them, just didn't bother to heat the pump housing. Didn't have much of a problem installing the bearings. Thanks for the tip.

Nicjak, Thanks for the great pics! Yes the other end appears to be ok and this bearing (and shaft) pushes in most of the way. Is only 1mm from the seat. It looks like you're bushing is also below the pump housing several mm which is exactly where mine is. In the third picture that shows the bushing, is your pump shaft pushed all the way in at the time? If so, then it looks like someone has machined the face of the impeller I purchased for some unknown reason. Guess, I'll have to wait until I get my original one back from Impros. Anyone else that can confirm the proper location of this bushing when the shaft is fully installed?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    the bushing location will always be against the bearing so if the bearing is seated correctly thats where the bushing will sit. the prop pulls up against the bushing and bearings.

Yes, I know but if you look at your third picture, if the bearings and bushing is not pushed in far enough the bushing will sit "lower in the housing" and the impeller will jam on the housing before it contacts the bushing. That's why I wanted a picture of how far the bushing sits when the bearings are fully seated to ensure that my bearings ARE fully seated. From this third picture, it looks like my bearings are pushed in the same distance and the impeller is the problem.

Thread Information