Fishing 70%, Touring 30% - Best Rig?

Hi Folks,

Going to purchase my first jet ski - use will be in salt water (SW FL and the Keys) fishing near shore and back waters for 70% of the time. Balance will be touring the islands with my wife.

Now, I need the unit with the best ride (bad neck) and adequate storage for fishing gear: anchor, rode, lunch/water, tackly bag, towels, etc.

Seem to be down to the 2010 Kawasaki Ultra LX 260 or the Sea Doo RXT iS 260.

Reliability of the rig and ride is far more important to me than cost.

I like the storage of the Kawi and it's historically reported smooth ride in rough waters.

On the Sea Doo I like the iS idea,the fact that the cooling system is enclosed, the "break" location, but find the storage to be marginal at best. Figured I could place a PVC structure on the rear of the rig, but that certainly will get in the way when wife and I are touring and want to get on/off the rig easily.

Your guidance is appreciate.
    Jack

+1
    Forgot to mention this via the PMs. Check out the rear deck of any bike you're looking at: Is there enough room on the rear deck to rig up a fishing/storage rack? I had heard that some of the new SD models made some hull changes that would not allow a set up such as mine.

I ride a Yamaha Cruiser, plenty of space for a fishing rack, camping gear, extra fuel, what ever you want. High lumbar support seat is great for cruising all day long, way more comfortable than my buddies SHO. Fuel econmy is much better as well. Mine is an 08 with the 1200cc, still hits 62mph with out any hic-ups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Rig.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	187403  

Purchase made

After researching in depth the various brands of jet skis, I just purchased a brand new leftover 2009 Kawasaki Ultra LX 260.

Reasoning:
    Primary reasoning was that Sea Doo requires the owner to have the Super Charger rebuilt EVERY 100 hours of operation to keep the warranty in effect. Now talking with two local dealers here in SW FL, I was given an estimate price to rebuild of $1,000! I actually called Sea Doo USA and asked them this question - thus the BS I was getting from dealers was false.

Considering the ski will be used for 80% fishing, and a lot of that trolling, the hours will add up quickly. Thus adding about $10/hour to the cost of ownership.

Also the Sea Doo had the disadvantage of only offering a 2 year extended warranty term here in FL - total of 1 yr + 1 yr extended = 2years.

Kawasaki offered a 5 year total warranty for $1013.

Next, the fuel efficiency of the Sea Doo was poor compared to the Kawasaki per the FL. Tech Instu. report.

Last, the storage volume in the Kawasaki was gigantic compared to the Sea Doo RXT iS.

My money is spent and I should take delivery this Friday, just in time to test it out over the weekend.

Jack

+1
    I think you made a good decision with the Kawi. With that said theSea Doo super charger will last probably 3-4 yrs unless you really rack up the hours. If you pull it yourself and mail it to greenhulk I think it will cost about 400 bucks. Not cheap but not 1000. Hey but now you don't have to worry about that.

+1
    You definately made the right decision. All the exact same reasons I went with the Kawi.

FYI - I actually called two local Kawi dealers and both quoted $1,000.
    Think there might be price fixing going on??

I don't mind doing minor work on it, but re-building the SC is not what I'd look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcastle View Post
    I think you made a good decision with the Kawi. With that said theSea Doo super charger will last probably 3-4 yrs unless you really rack up the hours. If you pull it yourself and mail it to greenhulk I think it will cost about 400 bucks. Not cheap but not 1000. Hey but now you don't have to worry about that.

Thread Information