Engine swap...is it possible?

Hey!

I am currently rebuilding a 96 Sea Doo Sp with a 587 Engine... The hull is still clean and the engine is in working condition! I was going to repaint it and nip it up a little bit and I thought maybe swapping the engine! Would it be possible to drop in a 787 or a 717 in that hull without modification!? Are the engine mount position the same and would the drive shaft be long enough? I know I would need to change the electronics but except that do I need to do any more work?

Thanks

A 717 will drop right in place of the 587. The 787 will fit but you have to re-do all the mounts to bolt it in. If you want a ski with the 787 just find a 96 xp or 97-99 spx

I think I would be more than happy with the 717... I am not looking for top speed, all I am looking for is a little bit more "umphhh" for wave jumping and some fun! That hull is really light compared to the new 4 strokes and I find it way more fun! Those 90' xp, sp, and spx are really hard to find in good condition over here and if they are, they are not going under ~2000$ easy!

well drop a 717 in it with a aftermarket prop and you should be good to go.

Good good! I already have a Solas 16/21 on it...what would I be looking at for pitch for the 717?
    Also, would I need to change the MPEM for the 717 to work properly?

I was also looking to change the handle bar, do any one know the size of the bar? Would a ProTaper bar fit the handle attachment bracket?

send the prop to impros and have him re-work it for the 717. Yes you need to change the mpem to the 717 for the rev limit

I put a 720 in my '96 SP, used a 278000822 mpem, 15.5 X 22 swirl, HX manual trim, clear
    oil & fuel lines, '96 SPX hood, speedo, tach, info gauge,LED temp, grate, extended Ride Plate, cigar lighter, rooster tube, beer caddy on rear for sandbar,styrofoam front hatch beer holder(12pac), Music kit. Just LOVE it! Bill

Nice to see im not the only one loving that little SP... people just keeps on telling me to trash it but for the price I got it, I can't see the logic in trashing while all it needs is a paint refresh... All the new sea doo don't leave the dealership under 8000$ and im still a student so can't afford that kind of expenses!

I am just a little curious about the hood, the ride plate and the music kit! What year does the hood still fits...do all 96 XP, SP, SPX are able to interchange?

Where did you get the rideplate? Is there a pump shoe separated from the ride plate because I can get a Ocean Drive Aluminium Ride Shoe for pretty much nothing?

About the music kit, what did you install and how did you mount it?

Would you happen to have any picture of your sea doo, it would be really appreciated!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by falconflyer04 View Post
    I am just a little curious about the hood, the ride plate and the music kit! What year does the hood still fits...do all 96 XP, SP, SPX are able to interchange?

94- 99 i believe...they all use the same hinge on the X-4 hull.

Where did you get the rideplate? Is there a pump shoe separated from the ride plate because I can get a Ocean Drive Aluminium Ride Shoe for pretty much nothing?

no they are one piece

About the music kit, what did you install and how did you mount it?

If its not water proof I wouldnt bother with it...yet i would like to see it

Thread Information