Question about replacing carbon seal

I was talking to my dad and we both agree the skis SC need to be rebuilt since they have a little over 100 hours on them. We plan to bring the skis home from the lake over July since we will both be busy and not able to ride much in July. This gives plenty of time for Jerry to rebuild, etc.

Quick question, while the SC's are out and at Jerry's, should I take the skis to the local dealer here and have them rebuild the carbon seals? I figure it will be a lot easier for them to change since the SC's will be out along with the pumps since I plan on putting different props in. How much do you think they will charge? Is it hard to replace the carbon ring?

What do you guys think? The carbon rings are fine right now *knock on wood*.

+1
    Why not..Some last forever while some dont last 20 hours..As long as you have the time it doesnt hurt...Especially with over 100 hours..

Banned User
    My dealer charged me 145 bucks to replace carbon seal and boot, I had the SC out and the IC, Exhaust, and pump loose for them, and that was with the parts.

+1
    It is very easy to replace carbon ring.
    As long as you can access the boot and the bearing on motor your good.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    It is very easy to replace carbon ring.
    As long as you can access the boot and the bearing on motor your good.
    ........Unless the C clip and the stainless bell are stuck fast because of a corroded drive shaft then it becomes a PITA to get that shaft out.

+1
    keith, if the ski's are in cali, bring it over & i'll do it for ya! It would be good to see you again too!

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    keith, if the ski's are in cali, bring it over & i'll do it for ya! It would be good to see you again too!
    Jim, sounds like a plan. haha. I just need the carbon seal, correct? Do I need anything else? I thinking about installing a X-charger in July also. Wanna help me plug the oil hole? What about swapping props?

The prop on my Dad's RXT needs to be replaced. I'm thinking about finding a used RXT prop in good condition. Or would it be cheaper to have Impros to clean up the prop we have?

Like I said, we'll be doing this in July. I know after we do this work I'm going to want to hit up Elsinore to test them out. We'll have to ride like the old days.

+1
    Look on ebay for the seal kit.. Ring, ring support & O rings... Get the drive shaft bumper plug Doohickey that goes on the end of the shaft that goes to the PTO, they are usually tore up. Jerry has the stuff in the store too.

I have the plugs for the charger too. As for the impeller, it depends on how bad of shape it's in. If you have dave take care of it you can have him pitch it to whatever you like too. It should be cheaper than buying a used one unless you get one for under 60 bux.

Do you have impellers to swap?

Let me know when you're ready....

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    Look on ebay for the seal kit.. Ring, ring support & O rings... Get the drive shaft bumper plug Doohickey that goes on the end of the shaft that goes to the PTO, they are usually tore up. Jerry has the stuff in the store too.

I have the plugs for the charger too. As for the impeller, it depends on how bad of shape it's in. If you have dave take care of it you can have him pitch it to whatever you like too. It should be cheaper than buying a used one unless you get one for under 60 bux.

Do you have impellers to swap?

Let me know when you're ready....
    Can we reuse the c-clips on the driveshaft?

I don't have a prop yet, but I figure if I do get the x-charger i'll need to run a different prop.

Thread Information