Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wired noise while airborne Please help

Hi I have a 1996 sl700 and I posted a few days a go that while it was in the water I noticed that the drive shaft was vibrating. When it's out of the water there is no vibration.

Well today when I was jumping waves it started to make sort of a grinding noise; I am not sure how to describe the noise except it sounds like metal on metal. It only makes this noise while airborne and on the throttle. Other than that it runs great.

What could this be? I am planning to remove the impeller housing but I am not sure if that is the problem.

Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like your pump bearings are failing. The driveshaft vibrating will destroy the bearings pretty quickly. Or the bearings are shot, out of rouns and is what causing the driveshaft to vibrate.

Remove the spark plugs, then grab hold of the driveshaft and spin the impeller. Se if it feels"gritty" when turning. If so, the bearings are toast.

Thanks for the reply. I will try that today. How do i turn the engine by hand. DO I turn the shaft?

The noise and vibration only happen in the water. The ski doesn't vibrate just the shaft at idle in the water.

the noise that it makes when I jump a wave or am air born is sort of a raspy, gratty, scratchy noise. It is not loud but it concerns me. When it is out of thw water it does not make any noise or vibrate.

thanks

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    turn the drive shaft in the hull and turn it by hand. but it sound like the bearings are out mine did that to when mine went very easy fix

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the engine coupler cover and spin the driveshaft/coupler by hand.

Also look in the intake area of the pump for any rocks or debris caught inside there.

Kinda makes sense that there's not much noise out of the water, no load.

Once it's in the water, ther'es a load on the bearings.

Check it out and let us know what you got.

I just turned the drive shaft and removed the spark plugs. It turns smoothly without any noise or vibrations. I turned the drive shaft back and forth really fast by hand and it made some noise. It sort of felt like there was a little bit of play on the impeller or some where? Not sure if this supposed to be like this but the impeller never turns in reveres so maybe that fine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It is not hard to remove the jet pump. Then you can properly inspect it, and check the bearings properly.

Jet pump removal info is posted in many threads.

If I remove the jet pump will I need new gaskets or seals or can i just put everything back on as I removed it? I ask this because I can only mail order part and my girls B day is Tuesday and I planned a trip with the newer ski that hers.
    The four bots are located at the stern of the pwc on the jet pump facing out or are they located on the bottom?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    If I remove the jet pump will I need new gaskets or seals or can i just put everything back on as I removed it?

I ask this because I can only mail order part and my girls B day is Tuesday and I planned a trip with the newer ski that hers.

The four bolts are located at the stern of the pwc on the jet pump facing out or are they located on the bottom?

Thanks
    No new seals or gaskets required, unless you find a problem.

Use the search function. Jet pump removal has been described many times.

Also look at the links in my signature.

Until you are certain your PWC are 100% operational and reliable, be careful about using them for anything more than testing.

Always have a second boat or PWC with you, in case you need to be towed back. Know which hose to clamp off before towing, and have the tool with you to do the clamping.

Take a small set of tools with you, so that you can do simple repairs, like a loose hose clamp or bolt.

Also take nylon zip ties, spare hose clamps, duct tape, and the like. Spare spark plugs, and the tool to change them.

Always assume you will have mechanical problems. Be prepared. Clean and check everything you can. Often you will find issues while doing simple clean-up.

There are a number of good threads around discussing preparation for riding.

Thank you so much. You don't know how much I appreciate your help. You and others on this forum are doing a great service for many different people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information