+1

GSX Limited only hitting 50

Im doing this to try and help this guy out that bought my ski. Here is a little background, the ski ran great all last summer, I had the carbs cleaned, the fuel lines I changed to black auto line, everthing was fine last spring. Everything was 100%. I added stabil to the tank ran it thru the carbs on my last ride in the fall- Nov. to be exact, fogged the motor ect. This spring I popped in the battey and started it up, everyhting was a go. Well I had it for sale and just sold it to a guy yesterday. He called me last night impressed with the power and the ski but said it had a bogging issue and would not go over 55. He said at around 50 its would just kind of bog/go/bog/go but everything else ran great.
    I suggested he check and change the plugs, check the Rave Bellows to see if it slipped off, and asked him if the engine was reving and not going anywhere which would be cavitation in the pump.
    Anyone have any ideas? I do not think it could be the high speed jets being clogged bc the holes are even larger than the low speed jets and the low end is fine OR could it be?? I really want to help this guy out and I hope its a simple problem!!

maybe you should take it for ride, that way you will know more. might be just old fuel or spark plugs. find out his reply to your questions.

could he have sucked something into pump

+1
    Am I right to think it wouldnt be the carbs since it is getting up to 50 and not just dying? Hopefully I can meet up with him soon and try and figure it out.

+1
    Your jetting of 95's and 165's w/ a black pipe on a 99 GSXL would be a plug eater up here in Michigan even w/ porting-- change the plugs and report back...

+1
    ya its always ran rich but only had a problem in long no wake zones.....but ill change them first and let you know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    ya its always ran rich but only had a problem in long no wake zones.....but ill change them first and let you know.
    Well-- did I guess correctly?

+1
    You need to find out the RPM.

Speed, in particular, speed based on the stock speedo, means absolutely nothing other than in comparison and he would have nothing to compare it to (though you might, if you looked at the speedo, which I would reccomend you not waste your time doing).

Even if it was from a GPS we need to know the RPM as well to be of any help to you.

Thread Information