Missing thermostat & light Blue wire disconnected & ground wire

Hi, I have a 1997 sl700 dlx that I got a couple of days ago, because of this I have be posting like crazy. I thank all of you that have been soo patient and helpful.

Well, the previous owner removed the thermostat and said that the ski will run better without it. I am concerned that this may not be true?? Should I install a new one.

After opening the electrical box I found a light blue wire that was disconnected coming from the top part of the box(CDI??). I looked in the manual and could not find a light blue cable in the wiring diagram. Anyone knows If I should plug it into the open blue terminal.

I was reading on here that the 2nd ground wire coming from the electrical box should be removed.

I was trying to find how to do the pre mix fuel and oil and cannot find anything helpful. If someone can please post a link on how to pre mix and remove the oil tank.

Can I put a little oil in the gas now without clogging the filters?

Thanks again

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does this engine still have the factory oil injection system?

The Blue wire is for the oil level sender. When an engine is converted to pre-mix, often the Blue sender wire is disconnected, and a 33 ohm resistor is installed to simulate a full oil level, which prevents the MFD display and RPM limiter (if any) from complaining about low oil.

Pre-mixing oil into fuel is straight forward. For the Polaris PWC engines, a ratio of 40:1 is normal, except when breaking in new piston rings in the engine top end.

The best method is to calculate how much oil you need to be 1/40th of the amount of gasoline. Measure that amount of oil (there are oil measuring cups that make this easy).

Put a couple of gallons of fuel in the gas can. Pour in the full amount of oil needed for the gas can volume. Put the cap on the gas can. Shake and swirl the container to get the oil well mixed with the fuel.

Now add the remaining gasoline to fill the gas can.

The idea is to get the oil mixed well, then dilute the mixture to 40:1 with the fill up.

If you just pour the oil into the gasoline tank, the oil will tend to settle, and not properly mix with the fuel. Hence the initial shaking and swirling.

Some guys use variations of this method. Others just pour the oil into the PWC fuel tank, followed by a fill up of gasoline.

Or put the fuel in, followed by the oil. The hope is that the trailer ride to the water will mix the oil into the fuel evenly.

Either way, it is important that you keep track of how much gasoline you are putting in, and make sure the appropriate amount of oil is mixed in to create a 40:1 ratio.

If the factory oil injection system is in place, it is less trouble to just make use of it. The Polaris oil pumps tend to be reliable.

Just make sure the oil hoses are new, replace the oil filter, and check all the clamps.

Purge the air out of the new oil lines.

Pre-mix the first tank of fuel until you are sure the oil system has no air bubbles, and is pumping oil.

Then just refill with straight gasoline as needed. Keep the oil tank over 1/2 full (it will last through several tanks of gas).

I believe that the pwc still has the factory oil injection system. Should plug it in if so. Is there a way that I can tell? Do I have to plug up the oil inlets on hte car or can I just leave everything connected and remove the oil?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    I believe that the pwc still has the factory oil injection system. Should plug it in if so.
    Is there a way that I can tell?

Do I have to plug up the oil inlets on the car or can I just leave everything connected and remove the oil?
    Visually look for the oil pump on the engine, and the hoses to the carbs, and from the oil tank.

If it is all there, then it should be functional.

Make sure the control cable between the carb and oil pump arm is in place and working.

If you want to switch to pre-mix, you must remove the oil pump from the front of the engine, and install a block off plate.

Remove the oil lines, cap off the carb fittings.

Drain the oil tank, and remove or cap off the oil tank hose.

Seal off the oil filler hole.

Thread Information