home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

riva ecu 60 mph practice key ??

my ski is moving along at this point..my girlfriend ..has 3 kids...18...16.. 12

they are wanting to drive the ski..i dont blame them i would hae too ...but i am not real comfortable letting them loose on a 85 mph ski..especially when they have never really driven them..and i really dont have the funds avalible to go buy a gtx na or something for them...right now

the question is.... how does it controle the speed rev limit or does it tie into the speedo and kill timing...kinda hoping rev limit..that will hold acceleration down as well

+1
    Breon, Your a fabricator...Make some kind of throttle stop so the ski only goes to 1/4-1/2 throttle. I would never use the learner key

+1
    There an option to rent a ski around?

+1
    i would make a throttle stop also. the learner key gonn drive up egts if they juss hold it full throttle

no the riva ecu has an option .they call it a practice key ...it limits the boat to 60 so you can go learn the course..

i am going to get one programed..it is different..than the regualar..seadoo learner thing...

kinda just hoping it is a rev limiter

the throddle stop is an option as well...

it would need to be quick realease maybe just some kind of detent pin..
    there may be a ski i want to go beat up on...LOL

i need to just find a cheap gtx 130 they can go beat the crap out of it and it will never die

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    my ski is moving along at this point..my girlfriend ..has 3 kids...18...16.. 12

they are wanting to drive the ski..i dont blame them i would hae too ...but i am not real comfortable letting them loose on a 85 mph ski..especially when they have never really driven them..and i really dont have the funds avalible to go buy a gtx na or something for them...right now

the question is.... how does it controle the speed rev limit or does it tie into the speedo and kill timing...kinda hoping rev limit..that will hold acceleration down as well
    I can see the newspaper article now.......man charged with child endangement for allowing a minor to operate a race pwc......

Rent one or buy a GTi......just a thought! Boater safety course too!

Banned User
    +1
    how about adjusting the throttle cable w/ so much slack in it you cant get full pull, easy to adjust right back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    I can see the newspaper article now.......man charged with child endangement for allowing a minor to operate a race pwc......

Rent one or buy a GTi......just a thought! Boater safety course too!

ya that is how our justice system would view it. too .rental is not an option...we are out almost every other weekend..chaper to make a payment on a ski

throddle stop sound like as good option...that would slow acceleration as well..

the 18 year old is going away for college in a few weeks...the 12 year old has no problem having me on the back ..she only goes 30 anyway...the 16 year old doesnt like it... but is going to have an adult on the back...and a boaters safety course...

not exactly sure what the laws are in fla on him being 16 i think he is ok as long as he has the course.. doesnt really matter yet... i am going to be on the back for a while until i am confident he can handle it...

i took them out and set up bouies..i sat on the back ..and made them ride the course so they could see just what made the ski turn and how much ..the bouie acts as a referance..i drove from the back at first let them see what i was doing..then let them do it..it worked out well..

sucks pulling a tube or knee board at 15 20 mph but they have a good time ..then i get to go out on the hard rides..without guilt..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    no the riva ecu has an option .they call it a practice key ...it limits the boat to 60 so you can go learn the course..

60 is still too fast for newbies imo. Plus the fact that it will get there in a hurry. Goodluck

Add me as a fan of the throttle stop. 60 is too fast for a new rider. I'd be more inclined to limit speed to about 40 and then inch it up as they prove their abilities.

Thread Information