Newbie Questions on 1995 Sea Doo GTX, 1st ski.

First, a quick intro...My name's Matt, I live in Daytona Beach, FL. I've never owned a Ski, have owned a 17' boat. I'm a big car guy, got a decked out Z28, own a 4X4 F-150, and a Suzuki SV650S. Have no real Ski experience, just general knowledge.

So I was looking into a very inexpensive Polaris which ended up being crap. The comp was like 120, 122, and 65 . Def was a heartbreak.

BUT...on a positive note, while doing some yard for for my neighbor, I stumbled across a Ski in his back yard. He told me he's had it since new, he runs it every month to keep it up, the carbs were re-done about a year and a half a go, and hasn't had it on the water in about 5 years.

NOW...on to the good stuff! It's a 1995 3 seater Bombadier Sea Doo GTX 2cyl Rotax. It has been covered since day 1. It is in IMMACULATE shape and when I asked him what he's doing with it...he said nothing, it just sits here, if you wanna maintain it take it to home w/ you and have a blast. I was like WHOOO! Too good to be true? Ya I thought so too, yet there she sits, and with minimal to get her ready for the summer.

-So this is what I've done so far, I pulled both wheels off the trailer, degreased the wheels, scoured the rust off, and sprayed RUSTOLEUM to keep it as much as bay as possible. I greased the hubs, and installed a license plate bracket. I replaced a broken Fuel Selector Knob, and wash and waxed the Ski. I also spent 30 min scrubbing the flippin mold off the seat which had obv been there for many years. I installed 2 new plugs (BPR8ES) which were in much need.
    BUT...with a new Ski comes new questions:

-I can def tell the carbs have been rebulit at one point (and I'm sure this isn't common practice) but the fuel lines aren't being secured by clamps, they are help on by zip ties?!?
    -On that same note, the fuel lines seem stiff to touch, should I just replace all the fuel lines and if so is there a marine grade specific fuel line to use?
    -The fuel in the tank smells good, but with this crap ethanol gas they sell now a days, and the fact it has been sitting, I was thinking of pulling the tank and cleaning out any junk that may have settled. It seems pretty simple, and tips or tricks I may need to know?
    -On that note, should the oil (which is still a good consistency and purple/blueish in color) be drained as well or should it still be ok?
    -The little screen in the air intake (which I believe is the flame arrestor) seems really dirty, is that safe to degrease?
    -The inner hull (engine bay area) is pretty dirty, kinda like an oily/grease residue. Is that safe to degrease and wash out? Anything I should be cautious of?

So, I guess that's it for now, I hope to hear from someone soon! I will have pics to follow shortly under for all to see. Thanks for all you're help!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyside View Post

-I can def tell the carbs have been rebulit at one point (and I'm sure this isn't common practice) but the fuel lines aren't being secured by clamps, they are help on by zip ties?!?

thats pretty common. if its been sitting for 5 years Id start over from square one. assuming its a salt water ski, id get a rebuild kit for the carbs. and new seals for the needle and seats. replace the fuel lines and get the zip ties that have the stainless steel locks in them.

-On that same note, the fuel lines seem stiff to touch, should I just replace all the fuel lines and if so is there a marine grade specific fuel line to use?
    no, typical fuel line from NAPA or autozone will work.
    -The fuel in the tank smells good, but with this crap ethanol gas they sell now a days, and the fact it has been sitting, I was thinking of pulling the tank and cleaning out any junk that may have settled. It seems pretty simple, and tips or tricks I may need to know?
    in a GTX its a lot easier to pull the tank. drain it and see whats in the bottom. if its dirty, pull it and hose it out.
    -On that note, should the oil (which is still a good consistency and purple/blueish in color) be drained as well or should it still be ok?
    Id drain it and start fresh it may be ok but dont take the chance
    -The little screen in the air intake (which I believe is the flame arrestor) seems really dirty, is that safe to degrease?
    change it out...there pretty cheap to replace
    -The inner hull (engine bay area) is pretty dirty, kinda like an oily/grease residue. Is that safe to degrease and wash out? Anything I should be cautious of?
    yes thats fine...since you plan on pulling the motor just get some Dawn detergent and power wash it out.

So, I guess that's it for now, I hope to hear from someone soon! I will have pics to follow shortly under for all to see. Thanks for all you're help!
    your compression numbers confused me a little...you posted 3 numbers but you only have 2 cylinders. if the compression is low pull the head and see how bad it is. you may just need a hone, piston and rings.

you may also want to change the pump oil too

this should get you started

Confusion

I think I may have confused you, I was looking at 2 different skis.

The first on (polaris w/ bad compression) was the one w/ 3 cylinders, and also a no go.

The 2nd ski (95 Sea Doo GTX) has 2 cyl and is currently the one I'm working on and so far so good.

Thanks for the advice tho, anything else you can share would be greatly appreciated!

-Matt

Thread Information