Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First post! Need advice...

Hello to all! I have looked at a 98 GP 1200 (all stock) that I really like and has a great price but I have not got to ride it yet.The hull has more than average rash and the topside looks pretty good and I think it has about 150 hrs.What are the pros and cons of this GP 1200 and what should I look for when water testing it.I have a compression guage to check the cylnder wear and I will look for water leaks.My last boat was a 05 Malibu response but I have never owned a waverunner so I need some help on this one. Thanks!

King TuT

+1
    I previously owned a 1999 GP1200 which is nearly the same as the machine you are looking at. I really liked my GP1200. It had one of the best holeshots of any ski I've ridden. You are on the right track with the compression gauge. Thats the easiest way to check for an obvious engine problem. Make sure the throttle is held wide open and the battery fully charged when performing the test. Be sure to ask about the maintenance of the ski. When I buy from an unknown source, I always trust what they tell me, BUT ALWAYS VERIFY what they say. If it was me that bought this ski, I would go through the carbs right away, at least change the rings, and perform an engine pressure test. Its a bit of a pain, but the effort in the beginning will insure maximum enjoyment with minimum problems. Keep your eyes open while things are apart and replace anything that looks questionable. (hoses, lines,etc) There are a few guys on here that are really into the GP platform. You can find these people and their experiences by looking into the Yamaha Old School Ski Discussions section of Green Hulk. Good luck with your potential purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    There are a few guys on here that are really into the GP platform. You can find these people and their experiences by looking into the Yamaha Old School Ski Discussions section of Green Hulk. Good luck with your potential purchase.
    Like Prism said! Come play in the Old School Section! I'm sure a Mod will switch it over there for you shortly and the fellas will chime in.

Also, there have been acouple posts recently asking what to look for. Try and find these and they will help you out.

What I suggest, do the compression check like you have planned.
    Check the hull for cracks/unusual wear from beaching it or hitting the dock or something of the sort.
    Check to see if the trim is working or frozen up.
    Run it on the hose and then Take it for a test ride!!!
    Double check the guy has the title for ski (and trailer if you're getting one).

And ask away with any questions!

98 GP 1200- Thanks for the advice!

I still have not been able to test ride it yet and now the weather has turned crappy here in NC. He could not not start it for me when I looked at it last week due to a dead battery and was going to get a new one.While I am waiting on him,I'm still shopping around for possibly another Yamaha that would work for me.The Gp 1200 and 1300 do have some good styling and preformance and they hold there value pretty good.He does have a good price on this one so I will go with it if it checks out.The hull has taken a beating so I'm guessing that SMC is very strong.Also,they had lost one of the drain plugs in the hull and had replaced it with some type of plastic bottle cap! I know that I will need to do some engine service and upgrades but thats part of the fun LOL.All your advice is greatly appreciated!

King TuT

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk and the old school section, some of the friendliest people in this place. Everyone looks out for one another in here, great place to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by King TuT View Post
    I still have not been able to test ride it yet and now the weather has turned crappy here in NC. He could not not start it for me when I looked at it last week due to a dead battery and was going to get a new one.While I am waiting on him,I'm still shopping around for possibly another Yamaha that would work for me.The Gp 1200 and 1300 do have some good styling and preformance and they hold there value pretty good.He does have a good price on this one so I will go with it if it checks out.The hull has taken a beating so I'm guessing that SMC is very strong.Also,they had lost one of the drain plugs in the hull and had replaced it with some type of plastic bottle cap! I know that I will need to do some engine service and upgrades but thats part of the fun LOL.All your advice is greatly appreciated!

King TuT
    I feel ya on the crappy weather!! (Virginia) Another thought, take or tell him to get some new spark plugs to throw in there with the new battery. That'll help also.

You can buy that drain plug from the GreenHulk store for 5 bucks (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=70&B=18 Item #19), or put a WTB (Want To Buy) thread and someone might have an extra laying around if you end up buying the ski!

WTF!? Low comp. in the aft cylinder...

Whats UP! TO ALL at Green Hulk. The owner of this 98 GP1200 alerted me to the fact that the ski was not running as it should just before I was to water test it. But he thought it was something minor.But it had the same symptoms as my nephews 98 kawi stx 1100 which scored 2 cylinders.So I checked the comp on each cylinder - the front 2 showing 120 psi and the rear cylinder less than 30 psi.With just over 100 hrs the crankcase and internals are probably good but I won't assume anything.I think overall its a good ski but as for the cosmetics, it looks like a rental with 300 hrs on it.The hull has taken some real abuse- and I am uneasy about possible cracks.I did see at least 1 gallon of water in the bilge as he had just come from the lake and had not drained it.The question is- do I want to spend 1000.00 for this ski and trailer and then possibly a thousand or more to get this one running.I would probably go with SBT's cylinder kit (700.00) and I can do most of the labor myself.OR, I have a friend thats a Honda/Yamaha tec and would do it at a resonable cost.Any advice,opinions,BS, or otherwise will be appreciated.
    Also, I will tell you that I have looked at a 04 Honda turbo (2 seater) with 100 hrs that I really like. If I can get a good deal on the Honda it will be a option for me. When it comes to watercraft I think Yamaha easily has the edge on Honda but I know that the Honda is an excellent ski......

King TuT

+1
    $1000 for a non running 1200 is a fair price try and get him down a couple of hundred more because of the low comp.
    Worth fixing imo

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    $1000 for a non running 1200 is a fair price try and get him down a couple of hundred more because of the low comp.
    Worth fixing imo

I dunno. $1000 is fair if its just not running. But if it also doens't look good you could spend some $$ there. My 98 was not running and looked like crap when I got it and the seller pretty much gave it to me as a package deal with an 01 GPR.

Hard to say without actually seeing it but based on your description I would walk.
    I think for $2500-3000 you can get a gp1200 in perfect shape running and looks good. They are getting less common so it might take some time to find.

Do you think you can fix up this one for less than that? Including the value of your time?

How much abuse are we talking? Hull cracks? Or dock rash on the rub rail?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information