Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Talking How To Break In a NEW engine - Controversial Technique!!

Here's the link to break in a new engine. I've seen this article before on this forum but I couldn't find it - sorry for the repeat.

This topic has been popping up lately with the new 2010 boats. It also seems to generate as much opinions as "motor oil type, grade, synthetic or not".

A FAMOUS Hulkster was quoted as saying, "Ride It Like You Stole It".

ENJOY!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

+1
    I think this question was also offered on that thread you mentioned: What happens in a warranty type situation if the B.U.D.S. tells the dealer you were breaking in at WOT Is it a break in period violation? Or, not? I'm just curious... I broke my two '06 RXTs on the learner key. Looking back, it prob. wasn't the best way, but I'm going on 4 yrs now and have never had a 4Tec issue. Knock - Knock (on wood).

Nothing like confusing a newbie getting ready to right a check... A thread like this should do just that.

I have seen this site posted here before. Looking at the "What are some of the other common myths about engines?" section of that site makes me wonder if the info it is legit or not... Honestly the site looks kind of sketchy to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    I think this question was also offered on that thread you mentioned: What happens in a warranty type situation if the B.U.D.S. tells the dealer you were breaking in at WOT Is it a break in period violation? Or, not?
    You bet. If there is a failure it gives them a way to void your warranty, and we have had at least one certified tech on here saying his dealership has voided warranties in that "situation," based on the B.U.D.S. readout; my owner's manual is pretty clear about avoiding WOT during first 10, but I can only speak to these models, not sure about other brands.

i can tell you mine was full throttle as soon as it hit the water, at 1 hour it was at stage 1 and at 3 hours it has a pro wheel and is a 75+ mph boat

also my $22,000 bbc on my dragster was broken in as per engine shops instructions (run the hell out of it) lol and it went 4.73 1/8 mile and has been in that range in all of the 65 passes i have on it so far

I posted it in here before. I used that technique to break in 2 harley's and so far no problems. I will use it to break in my tigershark when I finish it too. My buddy that broke his in per the dealer was on his 3rd rebuild before the dealer just gave him a new 88 cu in motor. Just my 2 cents. I am no jet ski mechanic but do ok with my bikes

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    every race motor in the world is broken in like that... including the ones that need to say together for things like the 24 hour of lamons..paris dkar ect..

I for one completely agree with that article. The ONLY metal to metal contact is the rings and cylinder walls. I have broken in many engines using this method and haven't had anything other than success with it. Run yours like a puss if you want to, but when someone with the same ski that has done this break in flies past you, I don't want to hear any whining! With skis, its a little harder because you don't get that negative vacuum from deceleration like on a bike or car. But the best way on a ski is to properly warm the engine, and once you do that, do full throttle runs... from a stand still hammer it down until you reach about 75% of top speed, then let off completely and come back to a stand still and repeat. I usually do this for an hour. After that I'll do full throttle top speed runs and back to 0, again for about an hour. By top speed I mean just hitting it and then backing off, COMPLETELY. No extended WOT runs just yet. After that, everything should be good and wore in, ride as usual.. I would still hold off of long full throttle rides until after your 10 hour mark, and you get that first oil change, But short wide open runs are good! Just remember to do your 0 - 75% and 0 - 100% runs HARD and you should be in the green!

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    dont wait for 10 hours to change the oil get the crap out after about an hour or so then do it again at 10 hours..

Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    dont wait for 10 hours to change the oil get the crap out after about an hour or so then do it again at 10 hours..
    Good point! Actually I think I will run my 2 hours and then do it. And then again at 10 and then every 25 hours after that. 100 hour seems to me to be ridiculous! That's entirely too long! Specially with the way we run these things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information