Thread: Race a zxi 900?

Wink Race a zxi 900?

Hey guys I have a bone stock 96 SL780, my buddy has a zxi 900 and wants to race, do I have a chance? My ski is in great condition, kept in the garage its whole life and only has 65 hours on it....Reason im asking is cuz he wants to bet before the race. I dont bet unless I know I have a chance at winning. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is the maximum sustained RPM you are seeing at full throttle?

What is the condition of the jet pump?

Do you have a GPS you can use to check your actual top speed on the water?
    The digital speedometer in MFD display is not highly accurate - GPS is much more accurate.

If you use a regular car GPS, put it in a sealed baggie, and strap it down somewhere where you can watch it while you ride. The top of the hood might be a good spot. Duct tape

Yeah i have a TomTom and thats it. Everything on the ski is in great condition, it only has 65 hours on it. I replaced all the fuel lines too. The MFD said it ran 54 at its best, low gas, small rider etc....The last time I rode it, it was around 6300 but that was last year and I may be a little off.

+1
    Well, you can do some tweaks and maintenance to be sure it is running its best.

Always refer to maximum sustained engine RPM, not indicated speed, when checking for improved engine power.

Fresh, properly gapped spark plugs. Correct plug part number, of course.

Unscrew the plug caps from the plug wires. Then trim about 1/4 inch off each wire with a sharp blade, and re-screw the caps back on. That ensures a solid connection between the wire core and the center pin in the plug cap.

If you want to get fancy, buy some spark plug indexing washers. Mark each plug insulator with the location of the ground electrode, then try different indexing washer thicknesses until you have each spark plug installed with the plug gap facing the exhaust side of the engine.

This is called spark plug indexing, and is an old racers method of improving cylinder combustion. The power gain is not huge, but it can make a small positive difference.

Remove (or move them to the back of the ski) any heavy items from the front storage bucket. Do not store anything in the engine compartment that could get loose or get into trouble.

Don't use higher octane fuel than the engine requires. Excess octane (beyond what the engine needs) reduces power slightly.

Make sure your carb high speed screws are optimally adjusted. The closer you run the carbs towards lean, the more power the engine will make. Too lean, and you will burn down the pistons.

There are lots more tweaks possible, everything from truing and polishing the hull bottom to tweaking the impeller and jet pump.

Does your SL have adjustable trim?
    If so, use your GPS to find the optimal trim setting.

Next step up is to start buying and changing parts.

Good info, What octane gas do you recomend? I always use shell, usually not the highest octane stuff cuz its so expensive but.... not the cheap stuff either.

+1
    89 is good..if it does not have ethonal.. i run 91 in mine

easy "go fast mod" full superman possition.. just dont turn hard..lol

+1
    Polaris original recommendation for these Fuji engines was 87 octane.

When oxygenated fuels became common, they increased the recommendation to 89 octane. Ethanol blend is similar, so again the suggestion is 89 octane.

Some guys are still happily running 87 octane, but I couldn't tell you whether they have ethanol in their fuel.

If you can find straight 87 octane gasoline (no ethanol), you might see a small power gain.

Many of us prefer reliability rather than worrying about every last RPM.

I run 91 octane, primarily because that is the minimum octane gasoline I can find that has zero ethanol in my area.

Sounds good thanks

Thread Information