99 951 XPL Vs 01 951 DI engine case differences?

Hi there, new lurker here I am hoping to reassemble a 99 SD XP Limited that I got for cheap because the previous owner blew a rod out the reed cage of the engine that was in it.

Engine is now out and apart, had a machine shop boil down everything so I could see the extent of damage.

My lower case is fine but the reed cage is out of the top section of the case has a destroyed reed cage on one of the cylinders.

On ebay I found a guy with an '01 DI engine case, bottom case destroyed where the rod exited the block, top case appears OK. What differences are there between the DI lower case halves and the Carbed lower case halves?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to mate a DI top and carbed bottom and have them line bored to keep everything straight, if not are the reed cages the same that I could pick up a broken DI case for cheap, cut the reed cage out and weld the cage into my broken carbed engine case then have everything milled flat to make sure that everything seals proper.

Just curious, seems like busted 951 cases are plentiful, If I can't use the DI case no biggie it just seems like the cheapest option at this time.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

the odds

of getting a mismatched set of cases to seal is pretty thin in my opinion.

Love to hear from anybody who managed to pull that off.

close visual inspection will help, but a complete set of cases would be a better investment methinks

+1
    Not gonna work the DI is different.

besides welding in reed cages and getting everyting aligned isn't worth your time. do it right and get a matched set.

TLR

Case half's are a matched set. It's just like main bearing caps or diff carrier bearing caps you don't mix them up. They are machined as a pair,

There are so many differences between the 947 Carb. and DI cases I couldn't list them all here. Dont even bother starting--get the correct Cases for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by David_HX_RXP View Post
    There are so many differences between the 947 Carb. and DI cases I couldn't list them all here. Dont even bother starting--get the correct Cases for your application.
    Alright, just curious.

I will probably end up welding the case I have to work, I was just curious if I could cut the reed cage out of a DI block to make it work. Those saying I won't be able to get it to seal or that it will be too much hassle probably don't own a bridgeport and a tig welder, I happen to so if I screw up it wasn't like the case was worth a bunch in pieces anyways.

Also, whats the difference between the 951 and 947? Since my hull says 951 on it I'm assuming thats the engine in it but what are the differences?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbuggy View Post

Also, whats the difference between the 951 and 947? Since my hull says 951 on it I'm assuming thats the engine in it but what are the differences?
    its the same thing, we just call it different names, such as, 951 time bomb, 947,
    or like the 787 engine, its actually a 785, but we call it 787 or 800

+1
    We need to put this up as a sticky.

Rotax makes a number of different types of engine, marine, aviation, ATV and snowmobile (and who knows what else).

Then, at least, they used a 7 as the last digit of the engine identifier to denote a marine engine. Thus a 951cc engine was called a 947 (rounded down, you see). A 718cc engine is a 717, and so on and so forth.

99 951 XPL Vs 01 951 DI engine case differences?

Got a crankcase if u want it. $400 plus shipping. Milled for Honda cr500 rods. (Decked 1mm) add base gaskets or spacer for stock rods. Great shape no cracks.

[email protected]
    Larry

Thread Information