Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 GP1200R Wave Eater Clips

I have been told that the GP1200R 02 model engines have an improved Powervalve sys setup & do not require the wave eater clips.
    I am looking at a 02 GP1200R with 113hrs registered witha brand new engine built through a shop but has only been started, not run in & is out of warranty. He tells me the 02 engines do not require the clips, Is this true?
    Thank you.

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    Never heard of that, doesnt mean its not true, my 03 has waveeaters.

+1
    All stock year PVs need the clips.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    All stock year PVs need the clips.
    +1.

On buying a used ski, especially from someone who does not know what they are talking about, make sure and RIDE the ski before you buy it.
    I would also want to know why the motor was rebuilt and see tge receipts for what was done. 113 is not a lot of hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    +1.

On buying a used ski, especially from someone who does not know what they are talking about, make sure and RIDE the ski before you buy it.
    I would also want to know why the motor was rebuilt and see tge receipts for what was done. 113 is not a lot of hours.
    +2 and agree with kirk Clips are a must do!

+1

Need clips

+3....everyone is giving you very good advice! Yamaha went through several PV updates but clips are just good insurance. Metal will always be subject to heat and stress failure.

Think of it this way $100 for clips, or how much is one cylinder, rings, piston ?????? at least $300+ just for parts.

Cheers guys thax heaps.

This guy sounds like a dead set dik. It was rebuild at Custom Jet Skis in Brisbane which going by the name youd expect they should know a little if not at least more than me.
    Has full receipts & i have spoken to the rebuilder this morning, the ebay seller told them to contact me because he couldnt answer my questions, seems neither of them really can lol lol....

Yes, being a new engine is good with receipts but not being run in yet & the rebuild being out of warranty date is a little daunting.... I may aswell be buy a ski with 80hrs on the clock because in theory at least i know it runs & runs fine....

Sounds like a good buy and will def check it out but upon speaking the shop owner (not the seller) it seems he can guarentee me the engine will be fine, BUT yet wont give me any warranty, not even 5 hrs or so....

Sounds iffy to me..... Will see what happens.

Ps he also said when i said i was going to convert to premix, he said NOPE.. dont know why Yamaha factory pump etc is all fine... Im like ARE U SERIOUS. Maybe i should go for a job at their shop

Yeah thx again guys, very much appreciated. I know my fair share but when a mech tells you different i second guessed myself, but as you said both the premix & the clips are just piece of mind.

Cheers...

+1
    I smell a rat. Let some other sucker buy the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRocket View Post
    I have been told that the GP1200R 02 model engines have an improved Powervalve sys setup & do not require the wave eater clips.
    I am looking at a 02 GP1200R with 113hrs registered witha brand new engine built through a shop but has only been started, not run in & is out of warranty. He tells me the 02 engines do not require the clips, Is this true?
    Thank you.
    you would be misinformed get the SBT upgraded PV arms, they are even better then the waveeaters. Can you believe I recommended an SBT part they have to get something right once awhile I guess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information