Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 95 SLX bogging down

My 95 SLX starts right up and idles great.......but when I give it gas, it bogs down like when it is out of fuel. The fuel, oil, and trim don't even show up on the MFD, as well as the low batt light flashes when the ski is not running (has brand new battery). I assume there is a problem in the MFD. any suggestions on how to fix it? I checked the fuse in the electrical box it is just fine, and there are no visual problems.

Thanks for any info provided!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Pull the connector off the back of the MFD, and confirm that there is no corrosion, and the harness connector pins are clean.

Check the electrical box for corrosion. Pull the MFD 1/4 Amp fuse, make sure it is good, and no corrosion.

Then try the MFD Calibrate/Reset sequence;

Multi-Function Display (MFD)

How to reset the MFD
    aka CAL (calibrate) mode

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you done a compression test?

Have you verified you're getting fuel to all 3 carbs?

Yes and Yes, I do not think it is a fuel issue, I am 99% sure it is a problem with the MFD.

Thank you for the help!!! I'll try checking the connections tomorrow. I have opened the electrical box and there was no corrosion in there, and the fuse is still good.

I reset the MFD and it still does the same thing, I used a voltage meter to test the battery. It tested at 12.6, I tested the cables in the electrical box, same reading, I tested the positive wire going directly to the MFD on the MFD end and it tested 12.4, so why does the MFD read 10.1 - 10.5???

Thanks for all your help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    I reset the MFD and it still does the same thing, I used a voltage meter to test the battery. It tested at 12.6,

I tested the cables in the electrical box, same reading,

I tested the positive wire going directly to the MFD on the MFD end and it tested 12.4, so why does the MFD read 10.1 - 10.5???

Thanks for all your help!
    Did you check the MFD ground wire?

Should be near zero ohms from MFD Black wire back to the battery negative post.

Did you measure the MFD connector voltage with the MFD still plugged in?

Slip the meter probes (or thin wire stubs) down beside the Black and Red/Purple wires to make contact from the wire harness side. Then you can measure the same voltage the MFD is seeing.

If it is still full battery voltage, then do the CAL-ibrate again.

If it still doesn't show correct voltage, review the calibrate instructions.

After that, I'm not sure if there is anything more you can do. Sometimes MFD go bad...

You can simply unplug the 8-pin MFD connector, and ride like that. If the problem goes away, the MFD is bad.

+1
    I don't think it's the MFD causing it, but you can easily conduct a test.

Next time out, disconnect the MFD harness from the back of it and see how it reacts.

Check your carb settings against the manual for your year.

So if it is disconnected it should run normaly with out the MFD hooked up?

Ok lets assume its not the MFD, are there any known places on this ski to cause that or just the normal stuff, carbs, filters, etc.?

Even so, why would the MFD say low power and only read out 10.4V?

Thank You, I appreciate your quick responses!

+1
    It will run just fine without a MFD hooked up. The MFD doesn't control anything, it's basically just a display.

What's your reading across the battery when running? Should be around 14V. If not, your voltage regulator may be failing.

Something that feels like fuel starvation, is normally fuel starvation. Elec problems are generally shuts right off, hard, or start conditions.

That sounds plausible, is there a way to check the voltage regulator? and where is it located? running out of water the MFD reads around 12.4 - 12.6v. It just dosnt make any sense why the voltage meter reads 12.6 when off and the MFD reads 10.4.

Fuel problem is possible. It has been sitting and the gas is old. I will swap the filter and drop the bowls and see what I can come up with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information