Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Too much storage oil

So recently I took my GP1200R out for the first time this season. I ran it on the hose at home for 5-8 min it smoked a lot then it kinda trapered off. I get it to the lake it starts and I warm it up ride it for about 5-8 minutes it feels fine so I go wide open throttle and it feels normal. I get off for about 10 minutes and get back on ride for about 2-3 minutes go full throttle again and it sputters and I limp back to the dock about 100 yards away. I get it home thinking I blew a cylinder but all three are 115 psi. So I start it run it and check the voltage, 13.5ish seems fine to me. Plugs seem wet so I think I fouled them. I get some BR8EG red box plugs (same size smaller electrode) pop em in and back to the lake. Runs fine for about 5 minutes then sputters but not as bad as before. So I think I am on the right track I may have sprayed to much storage oil in the cylinders over the winter. So I am sure someone has done this, and if so what did you do to get rid of the oil. I was thinking about running a #7 plug for a bit to help burn it off. I have not changed a thing since last season when I built this motor and put over 25 hours on it and never had a problem.

My mods.

F/A with the propper rejet, needles and seats, correct pop off pressure (can't remeber what that is right now)

Stock cylinders with WSM pistons, d plate + chip. Other than that its a stock ski with 48 hours on the clock.

+1
    If you're talking about fogging the cylinders for winter, that oil burned off in .004 seconds after you first started it. Your problem lies elsewhere...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    If you're talking about fogging the cylinders for winter, that oil burned off in .004 seconds after you first started it. Your problem lies elsewhere...
    Damm you! You are supposed to tell me to run it some more Guess I will drain the gas and put new in. And yeah sea-doo storage oil in the can that cost a ton.

+1
    Have you always run those plugs? I'm not familiar with them. Have you tried stock plugs to see if that helps?

+1
    Have you always run those plugs? I'm not familiar with them. Have you tried stock plugs to see if that helps?
    No I had those for my YZ125 they were the best you could get for those bikes. I would alwas foul the yellow box ones but never these. I was gonna pick up the right ones tomorrow. They are the same length and everything just smaller electrode.

+1
    Actually, the gap on those is .028, while the gap on the stockers is .044. Sure you have them gapped right?

And are you running the gas that sat in the tank all winter?! You know better than that...

+1
    Actually, the gap on those is .028, while the gap on the stockers is .044. Sure you have them gapped right?

And are you running the gas that sat in the tank all winter?! You know better than that...
    Didn't gap em. And I put staybil in the gas but yes its old from October of last year. Its been a while since I owned a ski over the winter I usually sell them. I am gonna re gap them since these plugs are $6.50 per plug and I don't have anyt more yz125's.

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Didn't gap em. And I put staybil in the gas but yes its old from October of last year. Its been a while since I owned a ski over the winter I usually sell them. I am gonna re gap them since these plugs are $6.50 per plug and I don't have anyt more yz125's.
    You aren't supposed to regap those fine wire plugs, BTW...you can break the center electrode off. You also aren't supposed to gap the regular BR plugs to that wide of a gap (.044)...the stock -11 plugs have a longer ground strap to allows the wider gap...if that makes sense. I run BR8ES plugs around .030" without any issues.

As for fogging oil...Sta-Bil brand can be had from any HWI hardware for about $6/can...no need for that expensive BRP stuff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    As for fogging oil...Sta-Bil brand can be had from any HWI hardware for about $6/can...no need for that expensive BRP stuff
    Did not know that, but you can bet I will find some of that next time I need it. Freakin BRP is like $25+ a can I think.

+1
    I agree with Fullboggie, the problem is elsewhere. That fog oil burns off very quickly, when the heavy smoke stops, that oil is history. With all the ethanol in the fuel today, I've seen more and more carb problems after storage, even with Sta-bil mixed in! The ethanol also distorts the flapper on the fuel pickup in the tank faster than ever. Just thought I'd mention it since it came to mind after reading your post. If you need to know what the "flapper" is, Waterwoody made a sticky on the subject in the "how to" section. You can find it here. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=flapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information