Cavitating diagnosis

I have 2003 GTX SC that has always cavitated on takeoff.
    A couple of years ago I replaced the wear ring, and upgraded to the aluminum pump.
    It is still cavitating while punching it out of the hole, but fine once it catches. I also see some 1mm groves in the new wear ring.

Since my impeller is a bit dinged up, I am thinking of getting a reconditioned impeller or aftermarket new impeller and a new wear ring(again).

What would you guys recommend? Also, is there anything else I can check?

Thanks!

How many hours on the ski? The carbon ring can suck air on the drive shaft and cause it to cavitate. The little bumper rubber thing that goes on the end of the drive shaft motor side wears down and can cause air to suck in also.

Start with a cleaned up impeller and new wear ring.

I have about 80 hrs on the ski.
    Any photos on here of good/bad carbon rings?

Quote Originally Posted by njseadooer View Post
    I have about 80 hrs on the ski.
    Any photos on here of good/bad carbon rings?
    At 80 hours you need to change your ring if it has never been changed before.

Here are directions so you can change the wear ring without removing gthe prop. If your prop has dings it it you'll probably want to send it to Impros to get cleaned up.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=808

I had the same problem with the exact same ride. I ended up changing the pump housing and that did the trick. This model comes with a plastic pump housing which is not a good thing with all of the torque involved. I replaced mine with a metal pump housing from an 04 GTX SC.
    Now it shoots out of the hole !

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Ive been through the exact same senario, problem was carbon seal/accordian boot allowing air to be sucked in, especially on hole shot. Either change carbon ring and boot or go with skat trac seal. I did the latter and problem gone

i am facing the same problem out of the hole !! haven't found the solution yet !!

I pew pew lazors
    How exactly do you know you're cavitating? I mean, is there a predetermined amount of time you can expect the ski to "catch" the water? When I punch it the front of my ski lifts quite high but I'm not instantly shooting down the lake. It takes a second or two before I gain any real speed.

Also, when the carbon seal sucks air will it leave a small trace of water in the hull?

i don't know exactly what cavitating is but when i hit the throttle from idle it does not accelarate and it goes into the rev limitter. if i play with the throttle then it is ok. also catching the water from idle should be instant !!and accelaration as well instant ! that is when everything is brand new though...

as far as the carbon ring you are refering t, yes it will leave a blackish spot on the hull if water is passing through. this is a good sign to have your carbon ring changed.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peebee View Post
    How exactly do you know you're cavitating? I mean, is there a predetermined amount of time you can expect the ski to "catch" the water? it should feel like if your spinning the tires, it should hook right away if you are not cavitatingWhen I punch it the front of my ski lifts quite high but I'm not instantly shooting down the lake. It takes a second or two before I gain any real speed.then you are not suffering cavitation

Also, when the carbon seal sucks air will it leave a small trace of water in the hull?
    [B]not always, to check if its bad is to move it up & down side to side and if there is enough wobble in it water will come in, I prefer using the seal carriers that have bearings and seals,[/B
    but thats a whole different story

Thread Information