Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this cavitation what I am feeling(newbie asks...)

Hello guys....

I am new to the hobby and i have my ski 2-3 times in the water always with a new problem every time...now that i have managed to fix most of them and was able to WOT and take some sharp turns finally ... I discovered something new.

When accelerating(wot) from 2000 rpm the ski starts like hitting the rev limiter and then accelarating... when i accelarate (wot)from a little higher everything is ok. also when i take sharp turns with throttle(not full but quick) it is like the shaft is actually scratching somehting. is that normal because of the pressure in the turn ????

my ski has new Sc rebuild kit with metal washers a 3 blade skat trak 15/20 prop and a worx grate intake. I also looked at the wear ring and it only seems a little worn out at one point and not all around.

thoughts please ?

thx everyone for all the help you have provided to me over the 4-5 months . if it wasn't for you guys (especially SNOWMAN & JERRY<---big THX to both) I would have sell the ski and gotten out of the hobby. i am still devastated of the ski i have bought(used) because everyhting the previous owner said was a lie, but at least I gained a lot of epxerience !!!both for ski and LIFE !! never trust anyone when buying a used item !!!

+1
    Whats the driveshaft spline/teeth look like on the impeller end? Also, what does the impeller splines look like where the driveshaft goes in? Does the impeller turn freely by hand when the pump is out?

what do you mean by what they look like ? you mean if they seem to be eaten in a way ? when i pulled the pump out they seemed ok to me. especially those that go in the pto. the others seemed ok as well, I guess. there was a little rust but ok...

the impeller was rotating nicely without any strange noises...

+1
    it does sound like cavitation. Is the impeller boot on there ? Maybe its moving around causing some vibration.

what is the impeller boot ? any pic ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Paul View Post
    what do you mean by what they look like ? you mena if they seem to be eaten in a way ? when i pulled the pump out they seemed ok to me. especially those that go in the pto. the others seemed ok as well, I guess. there was a little rust but ok...

the impeller was rotating nicely without any strange noises...
    Did it still have the little black rubber bumper on the shaft when you pulled it? Check the impeller splines, too. I had something like this happen a few months ago while I was riding a friends old GTX SC.

the black rubber was from the point that goes in the engine. from the other point nothing.

+1
    the black rubber was from the point that goes in the engine. from the other point nothing.
    That sounds okay.

So, when you are gassing hard it coming out of turn... does it make a strange grinding sound and feel like you lost traction?

More than likely the impeller splines are messed up or your wear ring is total trash. The driveshaft sounds like its okay by what you have stated. Some pictures would help.

on the turn i am not feeling any loss of traction but i do hear a grinding sound.

the loss of traction is when i am accelarating from 2000 rpm to full throttle suddenly only. wear ring is ok though. only at one point seems a little worn out..

+1
    on the turn i am not feeling any loss of traction but i do hear a grinding sound.

the loss of traction is when i am accelarating from 2000 rpm to full throttle suddenly only. wear ring is ok though. only at one point seems a little worn out..
    I think you are going to have to pull the pump again. Take a real good look at the splines on the impeller. If you are not taking on water, I doubt the carbon ring/bellow boot is bad.

Also, like mrbtd said make sure the rubber cone/boot that screws onto the impeller is okay. You can mess it up when putting the pump back in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information